Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Crossing the Chanel

Milo72

I'm travelling to France in a couple of weeks, ferry there and tunnel back. Just wondered if anyone had any problem with ground clearance on either of these.

It's 20mm lowered have 2 passengers and full of luggage.

IIRC if you ask they will put you in the HGV deck where you don't up/down a ramp.

I can't speak for the ferry but on your shuttle booking if you tick the box to say that your car is over 1.85 metre high they'll reserve you a space on the ground level. This has the added benefit of being wider so far less chance of kerbing tyres/wheels.

T8 said:
I can't speak for the ferry but on your shuttle booking if you tick the box to say that your car is over 1.85 metre high they'll reserve you a space on the ground level. This has the added benefit of being wider so far less chance of kerbing tyres/wheels.

That, T8 - is well worth know.

Ta m8 :thumb:

Osh

Thanks all - just looked at my tunnel booking and it says that my car has been designated a low vehicle and to follow signage... very clever of them.

Milo72 said:
Thanks all - just looked at my tunnel booking and it says that my car has been designated a low vehicle and to follow signage... very clever of them.

Interesting ,Let us know what you encounter .......Im planning a trip myself and remember that last time I was in the train it was pretty tight and the clearance was minimal .....

T8 said:

Now that wee tip would settle the mind .......:)

Did a day trip to France using Eurotunnel yesterday in the Cayenne. It does get tight, especially passing the toilets.

I took mine to Le Mans for the 24 hour in June on the train. I believe when you enter car type / reg etc their system picks up your vehicle and designates you a low height vehicle so you go on the bottom, thus avoiding the large ramps up.

I was concerned about my wheels, but just lined it up and took it slow. I have a 997.2 Cab

I would only use the ferry as a last resort ..... you just don't know who or how you will be parked up against ..... the Chunnel is well up to speed in directing low sports cars to the lower lever.

In keeping with my current roll of taking the Michael...

Are we talking hand bags or cosmetics here? :lol:

madalaa said:
I would only use the ferry as a last resort ..... you just don't know who or how you will be parked up against ..... the Chunnel is well up to speed in directing low sports cars to the lower lever.

I took my 997 on the long Plymouth to Santander Spain crossing last year.

As I was parking up, I did think those thoughts as we were down in the absolute bowels of the ship.

Given that it was a rough crossing, I did start thinking "well there is bleep all I can do about it now".

Was very pleasantly surprised when I got back down the next afternoon to find everything absolutely fine

Phew !!

Have had my 997 on the chunnel a few times and never had a problem with clearance. It is tight on the width as others have said, my normal process getting on and off is

(1) radio / sounds off
(2) windows down
(3) take it nice and slowly, (1) and (2) help me listen out in case the tyre rubber were to hit the sides so i dont kerb the wheels.

T8's top tip is indeed tremendously useful.

For this very reason, one of the things that I was looking at on the 992 configurator is the front axle lift system for such eventualities.

Enjoy the trip.

T8 said:
........ on your shuttle booking if you tick the box to say that your car is over 1.85 metre high they'll reserve you a space on the ground level. This has the added benefit of being wider so far less chance of kerbing tyres/wheels.

re the above.

Remember to follow the signs/lanes for the high vehicle loading area. Don't just follow the queue of cars.

madalaa said:

+1 :thumb: Admittedly it is more expensive but it is well worth it.

Using the Chunnel you don't have to get out of the car and the crossing is 43 minutes......if you get there early, they will ask if you want to go on an earlier than schedule crossing.

On the ferry it's pot luck if you can find a seat....and there is always a chance of some over excited kid running into your nads.
God help you if you want any food.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back