Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 21
997 : 2004- 70
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 24
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 2
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
911 AU
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: New to me 996 C4S Reply with quote

Evening all,

Picked up my replacement for my dead 996 C2 tip cab this morning.
After an assessment of my old car by Hartech, I figured I'd be into the £20k's to get the car in a sensible everyday condition, without having done the bodywork. My head decided to cut my losses and look for a replacement. Seems like it wasn't the IMS. Timing chain went, chewing up the engine.
I wanted a cab, Hartech, suspension rebuild, ideally not black or silver.
Picked up the car linked below this morning. Very happy, great service from RPM. Very detailed history. Full Hartech rebuild. Loads of other bits down.
Good drive back up to the Midlands. Feels more like a 993 Turbo to drive than a 997 C4s (I've had both of these but not a 996 C4s).
Sorry can't link the 911uk ad, that's been removed.

Thanks for the advices all. DeMort - you're a gent.


Cheers

Ed

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/sales/vehicle/996-carrera-4s-cabriolet-3/
_________________
Dead 996.1 C2 Cab Tip
Tr3a race
ex 993 Turbo Ocean Blue
ex 997.1 C4S Cab Man
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Alex
Le Mans
Le Mans


Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 16369
Location: The Ribble Valley, Lancashire

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worship Beautiful car.

Thanks for confirming it wasn't the ims bearing. Very critical on internet perception. I've read about more snapped chains causing destruction than any other engine part, yet you never hear a single scare-mongering horror story about chains. nooo
_________________
2000 Manual 996 C4 Arctic Silver Convertible


 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Griffter
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 326



PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex yates wrote:
worship Beautiful car.

Thanks for confirming it wasn't the ims bearing. Very critical on internet perception. I've read about more snapped chains causing destruction than any other engine part, yet you never hear a single scare-mongering horror story about chains. nooo


Except when the chain was damaged by replacing the IMS bearing in situ!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
coullstar
Albert Park


Joined: 15 Sep 2015
Posts: 1515
Location: Aberdeen/Torphins


PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look good.
_________________
1999 C2 Coupe - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124107
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
toddy2
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 11 Jan 2015
Posts: 337
Location: Dorset


PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colour Thumb
_________________
Current Porsche Line up:
1968 911T
2002 996 4s

1988 944 (Sold)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
GMG
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 374
Location: Devon


PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I was under the impression that chains don't just snap without provocation?

Failures occur as a consequence of associated component failure...tandem pumps seizing, tensioner wear causing slack or tensioner wear etc ?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
bakerboy4s
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 06 Jun 2015
Posts: 256
Location: Staffordshire


PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That really does look lovely, a good purchase Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Ghianightmare
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 25 Apr 2017
Posts: 330
Location: Dublin


PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you got a fantastic car - well done. I hope it wears well.
_________________
2002 Seal Grey C4S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
askgeez
Barcelona


Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 1474
Location: Essex


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only yesterday saw a 996c4s cabriolet, and thought how good it looked Thumb

Yours looks like a mint one . Previous owner(s) spent £32k on it , then decided not to keep after all Surprised good news for you Grin
_________________
997.2 GT3 coupe Manual (03/19 >)
911 SC Targa Manual (04/19 >)
997.2 GTS coupe PDK (06/17-02/19)
997.1 C4s coupe Manual (04/15-06/17)
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
BHZ661
Barcelona


Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 1329
Location: Milton Keynes


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking car thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
RussW
Newbie


Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 14



PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I similarly picked up this 4S cab last week - did my first few miles in it over the weekend. Have owned a few different 911's over the years, this flavour of 911 is an awesome car. It fortunately has PSE, the noise with the roof down is a joy to behold. I'm following the higher risk route of private sale, no rebuild history, needing a little bit of love overall, so I'm keeping everything crossed, in the game of 911 ownership you win some and lose some!

I'm also in Worcestershire so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.
 



IMG_0155.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  1185 Time(s)

IMG_0155.JPG


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robertb
Dijon


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 7111
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 996 C4S Reply with quote

911 AU wrote:
Evening all,

Picked up my replacement for my dead 996 C2 tip cab this morning.
After an assessment of my old car by Hartech, I figured I'd be into the £20k's to get the car in a sensible everyday condition, without having done the bodywork. My head decided to cut my losses and look for a replacement. Seems like it wasn't the IMS. Timing chain went, chewing up the engine.
I wanted a cab, Hartech, suspension rebuild, ideally not black or silver.
Picked up the car linked below this morning. Very happy, great service from RPM. Very detailed history. Full Hartech rebuild. Loads of other bits down.
Good drive back up to the Midlands. Feels more like a 993 Turbo to drive than a 997 C4s (I've had both of these but not a 996 C4s).
Sorry can't link the 911uk ad, that's been removed.

Thanks for the advices all. DeMort - you're a gent.


Cheers

Ed

https://rpmtechnik.co.uk/sales/vehicle/996-carrera-4s-cabriolet-3/


I'd admired that car in the RPM ads... nice one, glad its going to someone who will appreciate the £££££ spent by the previous owner!
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
INWB
Monza


Joined: 02 May 2016
Posts: 215
Location: Leicestershire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase - that looks lovely and will be perfect for the summer.

You planning on coming to the silverstone classic?
_________________
2003 Manual 996 C4S Midnight Blue
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
freshy
Silverstone


Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 102



PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! Enjoy Cool
_________________
2005 996 'C4S Plus' Cab Manual in Atlas Grey X51 + Rusty PSE
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911 AU
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussW wrote:
I similarly picked up this 4S cab last week - did my first few miles in it over the weekend. Have owned a few different 911's over the years, this flavour of 911 is an awesome car. It fortunately has PSE, the noise with the roof down is a joy to behold. I'm following the higher risk route of private sale, no rebuild history, needing a little bit of love overall, so I'm keeping everything crossed, in the game of 911 ownership you win some and lose some!

I'm also in Worcestershire so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.


Don't let it worry you. My first one lasted 11 years!
PSE does make a big difference, strange though mine is on unless you press the button. I know from looking through the paperwork that a previous owner had it checked by the garage. They just confirmed that it is working in reverse.
Suits me.
Are you thinking of grills to protect the rads? Zunsport 'how to video' shows them cutting out the existing grills. I think I'll make some and fit on the inside.

Lovely cars, enjoy.
_________________
Dead 996.1 C2 Cab Tip
Tr3a race
ex 993 Turbo Ocean Blue
ex 997.1 C4S Cab Man
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911 AU
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
To me it made sense buying one with the work already done, others may have taken a different route.
_________________
Dead 996.1 C2 Cab Tip
Tr3a race
ex 993 Turbo Ocean Blue
ex 997.1 C4S Cab Man
 



IMG_8736.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.9 KB
 Viewed:  1094 Time(s)

IMG_8736.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911 AU
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First drive
_________________
Dead 996.1 C2 Cab Tip
Tr3a race
ex 993 Turbo Ocean Blue
ex 997.1 C4S Cab Man
 



IMG_8737.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.2 KB
 Viewed:  1091 Time(s)

IMG_8737.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
911 AU
Silverstone


Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 124
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INWB wrote:
Congrats on the purchase - that looks lovely and will be perfect for the summer.

You planning on coming to the silverstone classic?


It's a great colour, but we're both a bit biased.

Booked in on Saturday 4th May, are you going?
_________________
Dead 996.1 C2 Cab Tip
Tr3a race
ex 993 Turbo Ocean Blue
ex 997.1 C4S Cab Man
 



Image-1-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.17 KB
 Viewed:  1082 Time(s)

Image-1-2.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
freshy
Silverstone


Joined: 13 Oct 2016
Posts: 102



PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911 AU wrote:
RussW wrote:
I similarly picked up this 4S cab last week - did my first few miles in it over the weekend. Have owned a few different 911's over the years, this flavour of 911 is an awesome car. It fortunately has PSE, the noise with the roof down is a joy to behold. I'm following the higher risk route of private sale, no rebuild history, needing a little bit of love overall, so I'm keeping everything crossed, in the game of 911 ownership you win some and lose some!

I'm also in Worcestershire so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you.


Don't let it worry you. My first one lasted 11 years!
PSE does make a big difference, strange though mine is on unless you press the button. I know from looking through the paperwork that a previous owner had it checked by the garage. They just confirmed that it is working in reverse.
Suits me.
Are you thinking of grills to protect the rads? Zunsport 'how to video' shows them cutting out the existing grills. I think I'll make some and fit on the inside.

Lovely cars, enjoy.


My PSE is on by default, you have to turn it off by pressing the button

As for grilles, keep an eye out for offers I was planning on making my own but ended up buying discounted Zunsport grilles.
_________________
2005 996 'C4S Plus' Cab Manual in Atlas Grey X51 + Rusty PSE
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Osh
Sepang


Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 2932
Location: Bristol


PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks stunning.

Great choice Thumb


Osh
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum