Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radar/Laser Detector/Jammer

Methodman

Unfortunately my licence took a hit recently to the tune of 6 points. Have been thinking about investing in a laser/radar detector/jammer and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them?
Cost isn't an issue as keeping my licence is definitely worth shelling out for!

I'm sure they're out there. But I think if you're caught using one you'll be getting another 6 points... And some :sad: :judge:

Have a word on the QT :wink:

Norfolk & Idea said:
I'm sure they're out there. But I think if you're caught using one you'll be getting another 6 points... And some :sad: :judge:

Have a word on the QT :wink:

Yeh I've heard the jammer's are illegal but I don't think the detectors are? Or am I wrong..?

Laser jammer is illegal. Variety of laser detectors available. With the exception of picking up laser scatter off other vehicles, by the time the detector goes off, your speed has already been detected.

Use a good stand-alone sat nav with common laser sites mapped as well as fixed cameras and keep the maps updated frequently. Fixed sites cameras (Gatso, Truvelo etc) are avoidable. But those motorway HADECs cameras dont show up on my Garmin sat nav.
They must have caught lots of motorists. The matrix speed limit signs on smart sections of motorways are another very high risk site.

I'd guess that unmarked cars catch a lot of speeding motorists. Cheshire Constabularly has a lot of them.

Motorways are a high risk to speed. M6 North in Cumbtia is bad with an overhead laser site where the operator has you in his cross hairs before you even spot the camera van on the bridge. M6 Staffs also high risk.

There is a firm in Nottingham that supplies and fits high quality laser jammers. They use a network of national fitters - so no need to drive to Nottingham.

I thought that laser speed guns were on the decline in favour of a type, can't remember what the newer type is though :frustrated:

Target Blu-eye - quite useful and legal to use.

Methodman said:
Unfortunately my licence took a hit recently to the tune of 6 points. Have been thinking about investing in a laser/radar detector/jammer and was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them?
Cost isn't an issue as keeping my licence is definitely worth shelling out for!

if you use a jammer the type thats also a garage door /electric gates opener .you need to be able to prove you have the door or gates. the other option that many are looking at is the blue eye that picks up emergency vehicle radio waves and warns you they are close these seem popular but there was talk that the police were going to another radio system so it may become defunct at some point in the next 5 years. but do your research as the police are good at starting a rumour to stop sales of things like this , as I see it they dont have the money to change anything enmass .
the issue with the traditional scanners is they rely on scatter and the new lasers are so accurate theres very little scatter . but IMO anything is better than nothing , so I use the origin B2 as its not dash mounted and it does fixed cameras etc and lazer but as I say I accept it better than nothing but not perfect.

Phil 997 said:
if you use a jammer the type thats also a garage door /electric gates opener .you need to be able to prove you have the door or gates. the other option that many are looking at is the blue eye that picks up emergency vehicle radio waves and warns you they are close these seem popular but there was talk that the police were going to another radio system so it may become defunct at some point in the next 5 years. but do your research as the police are good at starting a rumour to stop sales of things like this , as I see it they dont have the money to change anything enmass

I looked at the blu-eye a couple of years back, and theres a cheaper version you can get by another maker if you look around. But the project to move emergancy services from Tetra to 4G has been underway for a while. The government gave out a grant to cover the costs. EE have the contract and the plan is to switch tetra off in 2020, but these things usually overrun, so who knows when it will eventually happen.

With regards to speed cameras, I have had a Valentine One in my cars for as long as I can remember. Easily half a mile or more warning of any radar speed cameras, more if its facing you. Its directional indicators are great and compared to other detectors it gives very very few false alarms, if any.

Thats okay for radar based, gatso type cameras around town, but most of the ones on fast dual carriageways are truvelo type infra red cameras so its no good for them.

Mobile traps are nearly always laser and as others have said, the laser detector will only let you know about it once you have already been hit.

The best "all in one" solution i find is to use Waze. Its great, its a free sat nav app, plus warns you of any speed cameras/accidents/police. Its user`s can instantly log a speed trap and any other users will instantly know its there.

I should say Waze is your best bet, but it does reply on the other users, doesn't get any more 'Live' though!

Not sure if this is accurate or not but I was told the WAZE can log your speed and report it to Big Brother!

Porkaholic said:
Not sure if this is accurate or not but I was told the WAZE can log your speed and report it to Big Brother!

It won't report it routinely but rest assured in the event of an accident mobile phone data will be accessed by the police. This may well include tracking app data.

Thanks for the replies folks, a few options for me to look at there :thumbs:

Bit of foil will sort it:

porsche-cardboard-replica-featured.jpg

:grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back