Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pollen and air filter?

Basalt911

I know I'm penny pinching, but do I really need to pay £57 for a pollen filter when I have a major service later this month?

also, indy is charging me £28 for an air filter (presumably OE)....is there a better alternative?

just looked at them - got them both for £21 vs. £103 from the indy (albeit OE Porsche)

feels like a worthwhile saving on consumable parts...

does anyone use/recommend an uprated air filter e.g. K&N, BMC or are they just all hype?

Basalt911 said:
does anyone use/recommend an uprated air filter e.g. K&N, BMC or are they just all hype?

I use a BMC air filter and it certainly feels/looks better quality.

...BMC filters and the like offer a performance loss but noise gain with the added potential to ruin your MAF because they are oiled !

I always buy cheap pollen filters and replace them twice a year...

MANN make the OEM Pollen filter:

CUK-3360

For the K&N filters etc then im not a big fan .. cant say about performance but the oil worrys me .. contaminated maf basically and to be honest a lot of garages dont know how to service them so just leave them alone .. kinda makes having one pointless after a few years .

There are 2 types of pollen filter ..

Paper one used on early 996/986 which will fit a 997 but i would suggest if doing average milage you replace once a year.

Active carbon pollen filter designed to last 2 years but more expensive .

You dont have to have any filter .. its not something that was fitted back in the day .. but if you do suffer from hay fever .. :thumb:

You can if you wish supply your own service parts and save money that way ..

But please bear in mind garages make money on parts and labour .. with a service its a fixed cost .. ergo a fixed profit .. they could sell the service as all labour and free parts .. less labour and more expensive parts .. etc etc ... but the end result is the same .

It already takes me longer to do a service than the actual labour element of the fixed cost serviceing .

Now and then and its fine .. but if everyone did it there would end up being x2 service costs .. and the cost for customer supply parts would end up giving us the same profit as us supplying them ..

Why ?? there is a small margin of profit in what we do so im afraid .. pennys do count .

Most garages use the workshop as bread and butter and the sales as the profit .. a workshop only and you start to see its hard to make money .

Just my 2 pennys anyways .

I think that's fair, albeit a little annoying.

£430 for a major service (excluding the extra £100 of oil which i will supply myself) just seems like a lot of cash given car has only done 3k miles since last service.

You could just ask for a minor service .. but that would upset the service history i guess ... for me i would just have an oil change but im not clued up on resale values and Ocd .. i just do what the car needs .

Just for advise .. at my Indy and on a Major ...

We paint the disc hubs , we sand down the wheel bolts and repaint them , we remove all undertrays and waxoil brake pipes , a/c pipes where needed and the same on the coolant pipes ..

We also remove the rear brake discs , we clean and inspect the handbrake shoes ..

None of this is done at an OPC .. Fact !

I would assume all Indys do this .. it takes longer than the labor charged thats for sure but it gives you a thorough check over.

Cost .. i cant say for your garage .. only for what i do and what we charge .

If you want to save money though .. biggest saving .. oil .. huge mark up on that ;)

Dont tell anyone though :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back