Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust tips - how close to rear PU bumper

Pretzel

After replacing the engine mountings (narrow body C2) exhaust tips are now touching the rear PU bumper valence.

So, how much of a gap do I need to leave to avoid heat damage to the PU?

There seems to be a fine balance between providing adequate clearance and the exhaust tip appearing to point down which doesn't look right.

Won't do any damage apart from maybe wear the paint off as they don't get hot enough (not on a 996 anyway). Rule of thumb, I always say enough to get your little pinky inbetween.

I reckon 5mm, you could modify the w/b shield or fabricate something. They will melt the pu if they touch. I put a 5mm spacer on the engine mounts to drop the engine a bit. RS mounts with extra RS spacer. I spent ages getting the wide oval tips just where I wanted them even to the extent of trimmimg a bit off the silencer hanger hook.
A tail pipe fell off mine and the exhaust gases melted the pu so badly I had to replace it.

The gap on my car is approx 20mm, the exhausts are the originals as are the tips so I am assuming the gap is as standard.

Attachments

• 857da84a_bedc_4695_a158_4ac87d439640_149.jpeg
    857da84a_bedc_4695_a158_4ac87d439640_149.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,377
Hi,

Here's a pic of how mine sit. :thumb:

ATB :)

Attachments

• exhaust_tips_133.jpg
    exhaust_tips_133.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 2,321
Allan E said:
The gap on my car is approx 20mm, the exhausts are the originals as are the tips so I am assuming the gap is as standard.

It's all dependant on how much your engine mounts have sagged. Are they new?

alex yates said:
Allan E said:

It's all dependant on how much your engine mounts have sagged. Are they new?

Agreed that engine mounts will play a large part on how the tips sit.
I changed my mounts for C4 as the old oil-filled ones weren't at their best, had to make quite large adjustments to the tips as they were touching.

I've pretty much replaced everything, inc C4 mounts, mufflers and hangers, and still able to centralise, you should too. It would do my noggin in if I couldn't get a decent gap.

What engine mounts did you use and what tips you got?, big ovals are obviously bigger and therefore not as much gap.

mimtUPO.jpg

Trev

Pic from slightly lower angle than would be perfect...

Attachments

• 20181010_140406_182.jpg
    20181010_140406_182.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 2,259
Thanks everyone for your replies, very useful especially the photos.

Exhaust tips were on the car when I purchased it, they look like big ovals or similar and were a nice fit before fitting the new engine mounts (genuine OPC C4 mounts)

Current gap is even all round about 20mm but doesn't look quite right so I will try adjusting them again, reducing the gap taking into account your comments.

I would be interested in seeing a side shot taken low down if anyone has one available.

Here you go, hope this is what you are looking for :thumb:

Oh my engine sits on C4 mounts.

ATB :)

Attachments

• exhaust_tips_lhs_115.jpg
    exhaust_tips_lhs_115.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,116
Porsche wide ovals, circumferencial clearance 15mm . On full Fabspeed system. Please excuse finger prints. No oil drips :D

Attachments

• left_tip_922.jpg
    left_tip_922.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 2,088
  • side_view_130.jpg
    side_view_130.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,088
  • rear_view_211.jpg
    rear_view_211.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 2,088
alex yates said:
Won't do any damage apart from maybe wear the paint off as they don't get hot enough (not on a 996 anyway). ...........

:hand: what a perfect opportunity for a kettle comment :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back