Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Whats lurking under your passenger seat?

wasz

Paul Ricard
I'm trying to work out why my remote key is intermittent.

New battery, led flashes brightly and I tried all three reset procedures.

Thing is, sometimes the remote works, sometimes it doesn't.

I do move the passenger seat forward and back a lot to get my son in his seat in the back.

So I had a look at the module under my passenger seat to check the wiring and for any dampness and there is the M535 body module sitting there happily.

But there is another module sitting next to it, with lower grade connectors and no stickers. I thought I'd found the tracker....but this might be another or something else.

Anyone else got one? What is it?

Every image I can find looks like this (image is a lhd car):

04.jpg

On mine the other module sits next to the M535 in the empty space.

I'll try and remove my seat to get a pic and trace the wires, just wondering if it should be there or not!

Module

I bet you hoovered the carpet before taking the pic :grin:

Well I keep my ferret under my driver's seat, but I've just had a sniff under my passenger seat and it looks like this:

Xb9vMz1.jpg
[/code]

Whilst on topic I'd highly reccomend not keeping an ice scraper under the passenger seat/ anything.

Had to take my seat out the other weekend as the rear tilt function had stopped working.

Turns out having the seat move back with something underneath it can pull the flexible drive shaft out (you'll hear the motor but the seat doesn't move) A nice easy fix if you already have the correct socket for it.

Hope that helps someone in the future!

Dan

There's only the alarm module under mine so I'd agree it's maybe tracker or alarm related.
Motion sensor unit? I had one of those under my old campervan seat once. I only know because the wind was setting the alarm off by rocking the van, so I had to adjust the sensitivity down.

Although actually you'd see things like that on the unit. It wouldn't be plain.
It must be for a tracker. :dont know:

I've also a 2nd module as seen in the photo :dont know:

alex yates said:
Well I keep my ferret under my driver's seat, but I've just had a sniff under my passenger seat and it looks like this:

Xb9vMz1.jpg
[/code]

Aha mine looks like Alex's with the extra module!

What could it be? The connectors on it don't look to be of as high quality as the ones on the M535.

Aside: Interesting Alex has M534....

Anyway I think its a red herring, I have a new button for my remote I'm going solder on as I hear that can be a problem even if the light works.

Ah right. So at least you know it's a Porsche factory fitment jobby.

Maybe the 535 vs 534 is coupe vs cab? Diffferent alarm sensors for roof maybe.

Demort will have all the answers later I'm sure. :thumb:

Forget that.

M535 = USA
M534 = Euro

I was forgetting that pic wasn't your car, just a generic internet pic. :wink:

534 is probably for a cab as the boxster shares the same one and internal sensing is different on a cab (used to be microwave instead of infrared, don't know if that's still the case).

Motion sensor for the alarm is a translucent white box, originally in earlier cars it was under the bonnet next to the battery, but water ingress into the connector caused many a problem so there's a TSB and official kit to move it under the passenger seat.

My car has such a modification..

thecarfixer said:
Motion sensor for the alarm is a translucent white box, originally in earlier cars it was under the bonnet next to the battery, but water ingress into the connector caused many a problem so there's a TSB and official kit to move it under the passenger seat.

Interesting. I'm sure I still have the white box under the hood....

thecarfixer said:

Its this as theCarfixer has said ..

They used to have a white motion sensor next to the siren .. the wiring rots out and triggers the alarm .. the fix was a modified sensor system that was fitted next to the alarm control unit .. the Big black box there .

If it was a 997 then thats were the park assist control unit lives .. not a 996 though .

Not done this mod in many a year .. these days customers just want the old one removed and it coded off to stop problems .

I will add .. drinks bottles .. water . ive seen countless times them rolling around the passenger seat well .. they end up under the seat you know ..

When a passenger then adjusts the seat position it often punctures the bottle ..

I think ive mentioned before that water and a control unit dont go very well together !!

Expensive and a recovery to a garage is the usual outcome .

Milk bottle was the worst ive seen .. not only a dead car but it stank .

Awww whilst im at it .. picking noses and wiping them under the seats .. please dont .. i find it rather unpleasent when i work in that area

:oops:

if still unsure then please give me a picture of the unit .. i know the wiring pins so a picture of them will help .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back