Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange starting issue, or rather lack of starting

Hans Gruber

A couple of times recently my C4S hasn't started, most annoying.

First time was outside my lads school, most irritating as the C4S is the only thing that sets me apart from the homogenous Audi/VW/BMW types...
Turned the key and nothing, lights on but no startee. Embarrassed I walked back home and called a flat bed, as you do. 45 minutes later I headed back and it started first time so all good.

Then last week, just outside Vets4pets it did the same thing, luckily there are a couple of shops to wander around nearby so after 45 minutes in Curry's and TK Max I returned to a most disgruntled cat in a box and a fully functioning 996.

First thoughts are, could this be temperature related, maybe the 45 minute cool down is the key clue, perhaps a slightly dodgy earth strap somewhere that breaks contact when hot then is fine when cold again. I'm open to suggestions but the odd thing is I use the car every day and it's only done this twice in as many months...

I await bang on diagnoses from demort or Alex imminently. First one with a hit wins a lolly

P

It's either something earth/starter motor lead/strap related or Immobiliser related if you ask me. Is there any clicking/slow cranking/etc. when you try and turn it over or just nothing?

Ignition switch is a common problem on the 996, next time give it a good wiggle around, key in and out, wiggle, wiggle :grin:

Alex I knew you would be in there quick! I'm Flattered by the fact that you think it might be an earth strap as I first thought.

Anyways, no click, 13 odd volts on the gauge, no funny noises, no crank, nothing. Ignition lights but not turning. I replaced the starter in August (cost me a cracked rib but that's another story). I wonder if that could be a clue.

If it is an immmobilser thing I wouldn't know where to start

kurlykris said:
Ignition switch is a common problem on the 996, next time give it a good wiggle around, key in and out, wiggle, wiggle :grin:

I jiggled, I wiggled, I even got out and rocked the car around. Not sure what the other shoppers thought I was up to. And I just happened to have both keys on me so tried them both to no avail.

I must admit, I do get a bit of a rush from not knowing if I will get home or not each time I jump in. It's like playing Russian roulette

I would've thought anything starter related would at least make a clicking noise of slow crank now and again...........so I'll give with the immobiliser theory or Kris' Wiggle it just a little bit, I want to see you wiggle it just a little bit, as it grooves :oops: :wack:

That is a truely cheesy tune, I was much more of a Playing with Knives man myself...

Bizzare inc.

You got it, happy days....

Could be a corroded terminal on the starter solenoid- or the solenoid is dodgey and No contact when warm.

You need to get at it and check it - just a pain as it is buried behind the alternator. Or just bring it to a qualified person to do it for you. If it was mine, I would try get the wire off and back on, or at least give it a wiggle to make sure it was on properly. Then I would try get a test wire on to it that I could leave in place so that if it wouldn't start, I could check it easily - with the help of the spare person I would be Insisting drives everywhere with me to turn the ignition on when I'm at the back with the multi meter :D

Sounds as tho its crank postion sensor , same symptons i had

BHZ661 said:
Sounds as tho its crank postion sensor , same symptons i had

I was going to suggest this if the engine was turning over, but the OP says he is getting nothing when the key is turned, so I think this is unlikely.

I go along with the suggestions already made, plus possible ignition switch or immobiliser?? These sort of issues where it works sometimes and not others get to me!! However it indicates that there is nothing fundemenally wrong, but something that occurs when warm.

Hope you get it sorted.

Yep cant be the crank sensor as this wont come into play until the engine is at least turning on the starter.

Sounds very like trouble I had with my 993, failed to start when warm only, and would restart if left for 30-40 mins, in my case it was, as some above suggested, a stuck starter solenoid which only surfaced when it was hot and resistance increased.
993's are quite susceptible to this fault due to position of the starter motor and the air getting blown at it from the cylinders .. not sure if 996's suffer as much from starter motor problems?

If the lights are staying on I would go for starter solenoid or ignition switch.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back