Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

strange pumping noise coming from front

cyanescent

New owner here - so I bought my 997 C4S (2007) a couple of months ago. Yesterday when driving through town, noticed a strange pumping noise coming from the front - a bit like a pump with liquid swooshing and a regular clicking noise. It only occurred when moving - when stopped, it went away. after I pulled over and looked in the frunk and the various compartments, couldn't see anything obvious, so I continued driving. It then stopped making the noise.

Just wondering if this is a normal thing? it was the first time I'd really noticed it, probably because driving slowly through town, so the engine didn't drown everything out... just nervous about strange noises! I did wonder if perhaps it was fluid being pumped through the radiators or something?

Thanks for any advice :)

When it does it does depressing your clutch make any difference?

Can't remember - I will keep an ear out and see if that changes anything if it happens again. What would that imply?
thanks.

Headlight washer jets :dont know:

Every so many squirts on the washer on the windscreen these pop-up, you weren't cleaning your windscreen at the time ?

Is it a gurgling noise ? if it is your A/C needs topped up

vlad said:
Headlight washer jets :dont know:

Every so many squirts on the washer on the windscreen these pop-up, you weren't cleaning your windscreen at the time ?

nope - wasn't cleaning windscreen or headlight washers. I regularly blip the headlight washers to stop them gunking up too.

^This if it is gurgling and sounds like it is coming from the back of the centre console

Gazc2 said:
Is it a gurgling noise ? if it is your A/C needs topped up

bit of a gurgling/swooshing noise, like something pumping liquid/air... heater temp is set to around 25C at the moment... but it stopped making the noise after a bit...

Iwantone said:
^This if it is gurgling and sounds like it is coming from the back of the centre console

yeah, from the back of the centre console....

so if it is that, how urgent is it? :<

Sit in the car stationary with the engine running , a/c on temp at 19.5 and a fan speed of 3 bars ..

Give it a few mins and see if the noise starts .. if it doesnt then probably not a/c but if the noise starts then turn off the a/c .. if it stops then you have just proved its low a/c gass .

deMort said:
Sit in the car stationary with the engine running , a/c on temp at 19.5 and a fan speed of 3 bars ..

Give it a few mins and see if the noise starts .. if it doesnt then probably not a/c but if the noise starts then turn off the a/c .. if it stops then you have just proved its low a/c gass .

Thanks - will try that this week!

deMort said:

it's been quite a while without an update - sorry - a lot of travel and the noise vanished and didn't reoccur...

However, I just had it serviced, and it turns out that it very likely was the air-con - they found that the radiator for the aircon was cracked, so required replacing, new condenser, and regassing. I just wouldn't have noticed the air con not really running because it's been so cold in the UK until now!

Anyway, it's all replaced (warranty, thankfully!) so it's all good now. Thanks for the responses - it was very helpful and nice to get the support :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back