Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing rear window tint

NedHan79

My car has a vary dark tint on the rear window and 2 quarter windows. It looks like a good job, no bubbles or anything like that but it's just too dark and dosnt go with the dark colour of the car.

I'm assuming to remove the the tint the easiest thing is with a heat gun, same as removing venal stickers.
What I don't know, is it a window out job or will I have to remove the window rubbers to get at the edge of the glass to peel it off?

I think this will be a major factor in making the car look better and cleaner as I find the whole thing just looks dull.

Attachments

• dea872e4_3f20_41f0_954b_c992bd2d597c_998.jpeg
    dea872e4_3f20_41f0_954b_c992bd2d597c_998.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,259
I doubt they took the windows out to fit it. Warming up will help, but expect some residue of the glue to remain.

I had to do this job on a Land Rover I bought a few years ago. Use a heat gun and warm the glass from the outside as well as the inside. A hair dryer will work too but will take a bit longer but is safer. If you are lucky the adhesive will come away with the tint. If you are unlucky or if the glass and tint isn't warm enough, you'll be left with sticky stuff on the glass. I used over the counter label/sticky stuff remover to get any left over stuff off.

At this time of year you'll be fighting a loosing battle trying to do it out side as you won't get it warm enought for long enough.

Be very careful on the rear screen as it is easy to damage the heating elements if you rip it off. Ask me how I know... :roll:

Based on removing my tint which was factory fitted, I had to remove some trim, but not rubbers. I just had to lift the edge of the rubber.

Best of luck

Never known 'factory" tints to be film, assumed it was dark glass full stop.

I gas thought about the cold making things harder but I might go on ahead and give it a lash.

If I get it warm enough, can I make a small tear in it close to the edge so I can peel it out from the rubbers?

Will it be on the outside of the glass?

no, tints are always on the inside of the glass. People who fit tints are adept at removing them, it's not wildly expensive either, worth a phone call.

I had a nosey at YouTube. It looks like it's gona be a messy one. I might leave it until the temperature rises a bit. I have a heat gun and a steamer, albeit one for the house and not so handy, but I hate the thought of soaking the interior but I can get my hands on a good heater to dry it out again.

If anyone has any magic tips I'm all ears as usual

stucart said:
Never known 'factory" tints to be film, assumed it was dark glass full stop.

The last of the line discovery 2s (can't remember the spec name...even though I had one) came fully loaded with tinted windows as one of the standard options. And mine had film, not tinted glass. Knowing Land Rover, They probably just did it with film to pimp the spec and clear the last of the line.

NedHan79 said:
I gas thought about the cold making things harder but I might go on ahead and give it a lash.

If I get it warm enough, can I make a small tear in it close to the edge so I can peel it out from the rubbers?

Will it be on the outside of the glass?

The film is always on the inside, but heating the glass from the outside means less chance of damaging the interior or melting the film

NedHan79 said:
I had a nosey at YouTube. It looks like it's gona be a messy one. I might leave it until the temperature rises a bit. I have a heat gun and a steamer, albeit one for the house and not so handy, but I hate the thought of soaking the interior but I can get my hands on a good heater to dry it out again.

If anyone has any magic tips I'm all ears as usual

I tried a steamer- didn't work for me. And it's messy.

It's a job best leaving for a warm day, with the car left to heat in the sun. This will leave residual heat in the glass and surrounding metalwork, helping your cause. In this weather, you may end up doing damage to the copper heating element on the glass.
If you were desperate to get it off now, I'd take it to a shop who tints glass, otherwise wait until the summer.

As others have said think it's highly likely you will damage the heated rear window element, you will likely end up with some glue left behind but heating will help most come off on film. Will 100% not be under the window runners as always a film in the inside cut to fit with windows in place.

Looks like summer it is. My garage isn't heated so kinda stuck there

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back