Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS oil leak + oil cooler leak.

77szymon

Hi,

I removed gearbox with some problems as Porsche Dealer Parts Department representative point put "not unusual stuff" and find all my Pork sweats - oil and coolant leaks.

IMS flange is leaking a lot I need to take it out to do this I have to lock cams where I can find exact dimensions of that super complicated tool so I can manufactured myself....?

I will end up installing new bearing but do I have to take it out before order just to be sure what bearing I need or can I just go and buy new one?

Also what I can see there is coolant leak between oil cooler "heat exchanger" and engine I'm guessing seals are gone could be oil cooler leaking too... Porsche Bolton quote me £198.66+VAT for oil cooler and £4.88 +VAT O-rings, carparts4less got in offer Hella for £111.79 not sure if this will came with o-rings.

What I would like to ask will be an easy job to take it out without lowering engine since gearbox is out? do I need to remove any other parts?

And after countless hours of reading should I change AOS? not sure if is bad or not but gearbox is out so.....

I visited today Porsche Bolton and was lost in cars so many GT3 and so nice blue carrera targa GTS I would never chose that colour but in real that car looks amazing I will try to add picture later....so I was enjoying myself Sebastian keep asking me which one are we going to buy today :grin:

My plan for today was to visit Hartech but these cars took me over before we back to our car it was 11:40 and they work till 11:30 :frustrated: NEXT TIME!

Tool is made from 6mm thick plate. The step down in the middle is 2mm leaving the part that clamps to the block 4mm thick - does that make sense?

6JLtNwA.png

AND DO NOT CHANGE YOUR IMS BEARING - JUST REMOVE THE OUTER SEAL, CHECK IT IS OK AND THEN PUT THE COVER PLATE BACK ON.

Pic137.jpg

How many do you need? :grin:

pC5NiCj.jpg

Just buy one from from Alex .. far easier .

You will need to lock the crank pully as well , a drill bit will do .

Dont even think of changing the IMS bearing your self , get the cover off and move the spindle up / down and in out to check for play .. if ok then flip off the black plastic seal on the bearing and leave well alone .

If you DO have play then get a garage to fit one .. you have the choice of a Porsche one which is a full engine strip or an after market one.

You will not have the tools neither the expertise to actually change it yourself so please .. just dont go there .

Oil cooler is what normally leaks .. i think from memory its an inlet mainifold off job to replace but if you look in the faq section you can download a workshop manual so have a look in there first .

Could i get a set of these please Alex.

Same! Could I enquire as to the cost of a cam lock as I'll be dismantling my car soonish, it has the original IMS cover so I'd like to swap it out for the later type with the better seal.

I've made hundreds of these but don't do now. But if I get chance I'll try and get some done........will be a while off yet.

Note: This tool is only for the 3.6

i too have 3.4 are the tools different ?

deMort said:
3.4 and it locks X1 cam .. 3.6 and its both so Alex,s tool .

Makes sense given the cam chain on a 3.4 drives one cam..

I'll have to hunt one down, or get one made up. There's only the need for one cam lock, isn't there?

You only need to lock the camshaft which is driven from the end of the engine where the IMS bearing is fitted. The other bank is driven from the opposite end of the engine and it doesn't apply any significant force to the shaft at the IMS bearing end. That is also why you don't need to bother releasing that tensioner, just the two which apply force at the IMS bearing location.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back