Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

recommend a polish

kaypaul

Trainee
I have a 997 in Bassalt black which has had G Tech ceramic coat I have tried many polishes but still can't get the high gloss wet look finish I am looking for
Please give me any recommendations
Paul

Kas750:

No real secrets or expensive products to get this result.
Finished off with 7 quids worth of turtle wax carnauba.

s-l1600.jpg

Will you be applying polish by hand or machine ? What is your decontamination routine beforehand? What will you be using as a wax / sealant? Preparation and decontamination are key to a glossy finish. A good technique will outweigh the product , if that makes sense. :thumb:

Do you mean polish or last stage product?

Polish means it has abrasive particles which help round off any sharp edges on scratches/swirls in the clearcoat (or in your case ceramic) It's these sharp edges that catch your eye when light shines off them.

I have tried using hand applied polish to remove swirls from my gtechniq and failed - the coating is too hard.

You may want to consider a product that contains fillers, so the swirls are filled up rather than the corners rounded (hope you're still with me here).

I haven't attempted this as my swirls are not too bad.

What I have been pleased with, is a top up of gtechniq C2v3 in a small spritzer bottle for about £11. It really refreshes the glassy look of the ceramic coating.

I think the wet look you are after only comes with a wax, and synthetic sealants have a more glassy finish.

kaypaul said:
I have a 997 in Bassalt black which has had G Tech ceramic coat

Hi Paul, you face a bit of dilemma here. The idea of the ceramic coating is to lock in and protect the paint finish / clear coat. Any product you apply over the top of your ceramic coat i.e. wax, will not improve the gloss level a significant amount.

Polish is a micro abrasive which if applied correctly should improve the gloss / wet look, by removing micro-scratches in the clear coat. Bear in mind this will also remove your ceramic coating!

Depending on the level of damage in the clear coat (needing correction), a more aggressive cutting product (compound) may be required, before polishing. I would not attempt this by hand, so you would need a good DA. I can also tell you from experience, Porsche clear coat is pretty hard, so cutting / polishing is tricky work and time consuming. Ceramic coating should only be applied for best effect after one or both of these processes.

Unless you are keen to get into detailing, I would recommend getting a detailing professional to assess your paintwork and get a view on what is achievable and the costs.

I have found this youtube channel highly informative - Forensic Detailing Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4lRohBzY20wjsFGWS0Jzg

Good Luck!

Do you have swirls in the gtechniq? Maybe you should try something else on top? It might not stick mind.

Here is mine after gtechniq applied, you can see it's more of a glassy finish than wet look.

I would browse detailing world forum for wet look on black cars for product tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back