Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Protection Film

k11pol

Has anyone had PPF on their car ? I'm going to have it done this month just the front areas and rear arches rather than the whole car. I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of this.

If it's done well with the latest quality film, there are no real cons to getting PPF, other than the potential cost versus a respray. The better films available are guaranteed for 10 years against yellowing, peeling etc and have self-healing properties, to a degree.

If your paint is intact and original there should be no issues with removing the film and replacing a section should it get beaten up through time, but if a panel has been resprayed there are some horror stories where the lacquer has lifted when the PPF has been removed. It comes down to the quality of the respray.

I've done approaching 50,000 miles in my 911, no ceramic or film.

The paint still looks great, front bumper still in good nick... the only area that has visible wear is the bonnet, with three or 4 stone chips (Sapphire blue paint, contrast of the chip visible).

Buying the 992, upon delivery in April, I think i might get it ceramic coated. Contrast of base coat if top coat chipped is likely to be low with a silver car.

I've been thinking about this for a while and often worry about removal - this was heightened this week when a well known youtuber had a wrap (not ppf) removed from his murcialago and it took big chunks of his clear coat with it :-(

Ouch!... yes, i wouldn't go for film or wrap personally... i'm quite old-school in the use of a decent wax.

I am unsure about ceramic coating, but may give it a go. Very reputable car detailer that i have used for years teaches other detailers how to do ceramic, so to say i trust him is an understatement lol... he's ceramic coating my new motorbike end of the month.

ukrr said:
I've been thinking about this for a while and often worry about removal - this was heightened this week when a well known youtuber had a wrap (not ppf) removed from his murcialago and it took big chunks of his clear coat with it :-(

That's because it was wrapped over a shonky respray. Over a factory finish paint job it'll be fine.

6appeal said:
I've done approaching 50,000 miles in my 911, no ceramic or film.

The paint still looks great, front bumper still in good nick... the only area that has visible wear is the bonnet, with three or 4 stone chips (Sapphire blue paint, contrast of the chip visible).

Buying the 992, upon delivery in April, I think i might get it ceramic coated. Contrast of base coat if top coat chipped is likely to be low with a silver car.

Not sure how you've managed that! I picked up 3 stone chips driving my car home on collection day! Needless to say the whole car is now PPF'd. As is the front of my 996. I am sold on the idea.

Personally I would avoid it as a good chip can go though the film and will not self heal. I had a chip on the rear door while the front was was protected with PPF.(SOD s law). It may be worth if you are a regular track user.

If you are considering a film, consider detailing the car before. SunTek and Xpel seems to be decent ones.

I spoke to the guy doing the work a fortnight or so ago and he says it will be detailed before the PPF is put on and that it is an Expel kit he will be using so going by the comments I reckon it's a goer.

A 3 day job from start to finish so sounds like a professional job including the initial detailing.

k11pol said:
I spoke to the guy doing the work a fortnight or so ago and he says it will be detailed before the PPF is put on and that it is an Expel kit he will be using so going by the comments I reckon it's a goer.

A 3 day job from start to finish so sounds like a professional job including the initial detailing.

Xpel is a thicker film than SunTek. I had mine for a year before selling the car.
It will protect from road rash and minor chips for sure.
Please share your experience afterwards 👍

Wow there is some bad info in this thread reference PPF and other ways to protect the car.

1. Wax does not protect against stone chips.
2. A decent stone chip can pierce the film: Yes but it's rare and then you just replace that one piece.

I have PPF on my 911 and it's well worth it. It not only stops damage from stone chips but also from swirling and the car is easier to clean once fitted. Also it makes the car have a deeper shine.

It is so much easier to look after with PPF on the car that makes it worth it in my opinion.

This is a link to a video I made of the process. I have another more detailed version of the PPF installation on my channel.

911tom said:
Not sure how you've managed that! I picked up 3 stone chips driving my car home on collection day! Needless to say the whole car is now PPF'd. As is the front of my 996. I am sold on the idea.

Blooming eck! That's seriously unlucky. I looked at prices originally and it wasn't much different to a bumper respray. The 991.2 paint has been very good. I got a car park rash on rear wing and dent guy pulled it out no problem and simply buffed up the paint, no paintwork needed and it's impossible to see.

The problem with a re spray is firstly will it match 100% and secondly what happens if you get another chip after the re spray ? You've wasted your money.

I've been told that the PPF also hides and prevents any swirl marks in the paint work. I'm going to go for it and as requested will put up some pics when done.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back