Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£5k 4x4 Workhorse

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
Want to get a 4x4 that can be used as a workhorse, station car, dogs and dump runs... also wants it to be reliable enough to do the Uni runs at the end of year and not be a money put.

I'm swaying towards a X3 but thought I would see if anyone can recommend something that I've not even thought about.

Ideas ?

Tiguans are a rock solid beast and when you think they're on the same chassis as a Q whatever and a Macan. Probably pick one up pretty cheap now and you have that German build quality.

alex yates said:
Tiguans are a rock solid beast and when you think they're on the same chassis as a Q whatever and a Macan. Probably pick one up pretty cheap now and you have that German build quality.

:thumbs: thanks Alex, forgotten about them, had one in Berlin a few years ago and it drove quite well.

Suzuki Jimny :thumb:

Skoda Yeti. Don't want to replace mine as it is great as the family utility bus.

(There was one at the NEC which at first glance looked standard, but had 780 bhp. Hilarious YouTube videos about it)

Toyota 80 series land cruiser, will be high mileage but they can do it all day long.

You can get 70 series for £5k but won't be a good one.

Subaru Forester....

Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV's are brilliant cars. Great reliability, practical, reasonably economical and won't let you down. Avoid diesels or performance versions, get a non-turbo petrol. We have owned a RAV4 for 15 years from new and it has been a fantastic family car. Not for the keen driver, mind, but who needs that when you're taking your old washing machine to the tip?

Mrs Osh has a Mercedes ML350 - its nickname is The Panzer; its absolutely brilliant, is fully loaded and she wouldnt swap it for the world.

Highly recommend it

Osh

Bought a CR-V many years ago from a car dealer friend who just wanted rid of it, paid £1000 for it. Ran it for I think 6 years, had to do brakes and pipes and an exhaust but it just kept going and going. Sold it 2 years ago for £800 to a farmer up the dales and I still see it running around. Without a doubt the cheapest run about I've ever had, avoid high mileage diesels and they aren't very economical but they are a tough little vehicle.

Having just moved out to the countryside and with my company car contract due to expire soon I'd also been looking at a cheapish 4x4. After doing alot of research everyone says buy a japanese 4x4 and whatever you do don't buy a Landrover.

Subaru - Legacy / Forester
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav 4
Nissan X-Trail
Kia Sorento
Suzuki Jimny
Suzuki Grand Vitara
Hyundai Tucson

I was leaning toward the Subaru Forester as they come in automatic and also have pretty nice interiors compared to some of the others on the list which tend to be very basic and somewhat shabby looking. However one thing putting me off a little is the MPG of the Subaru flat 4.

Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec B :)

Flat 6 engine, estate, bilstein suspension :)

I had a Spec B 3.0 Flat 6 Legacy a few years ago as my daily, a great reliable car and mine was a rare manual... a huge amount of car for the money... Add a Milltek and remap and it went well...

H6eESBB.jpg

cuq1xlu.jpg

RFOQ0KM.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back