Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hot Oil Pressure Difference After Service

ballcock

Paul Ricard
Just a quick note for those who may wish to increase their idle oil pressure once the engine is warm.
My 3.4 was running just above a bar with the oil that was in the car when I purchased it. I can't know for sure but I believe it had 5W30 a few months before I bought it.
I've just had the car serviced with Millers 10W50 , and hot idle is a full bar higher, at just under two bars, the engine definitely runs sweeter and quieter from first turn of the key, but this may be due to the plug and coil pack change also done during the service.

(NOTE, for those of you who are happy with one bar (you know who you are!) I'm not suggesting this will affect logivity etc, but it certainly makes me feel better!)

Had a very similar experience with my 3.6 on millers 10/50. Not using anything else now!

I will be interested to see how its oil usage compares, not that it used very much.

You put a higher viscosity oil in and you now get higher pressure at idle when warm. Isn't this exactly what you would expect irrespective of the brand of oil used?

MC

You also increase pressure by chucking in some more oil, Max oil or a tiny bit more gives you healthier pressures than running oil in middle of the range or below.

MisterCorn said:
You put a higher viscosity oil in and you now get higher pressure at idle when warm. Isn't this exactly what you would expect irrespective of the brand of oil used?

MC

Beat me to it. Thicker oil = higher pressure.

yep, thicker oil = higher pressure,
and also my logic thinking out loud, if a car has 70/80/90k miles or more on it, then surely a thicker than standard oil is a good thing to take up any minor and normal wear tolerances, or put another way the thin oil is really now too thin for an older engine.?? :dont know:
what do you think :thumb:

Oh no, don't start that.

asterix_the_gaul said:
You also increase pressure by chucking in some more oil, Max oil or a tiny bit more gives you healthier pressures than running oil in middle of the range or below.

It shouldn't do. Unless the extra volume makes it slightly cooler/thicker.

MC

MisterCorn said:
asterix_the_gaul said:

MC

Indeed.I would be interested in the theory behind that.

alex yates said:
Oh no, don't start that.
:floor: :floor: :hand: :hand: :floor: :floor:

kas750 said:
MisterCorn said:
asterix_the_gaul said:

MC

Indeed.I would be interested in the theory behind that.

No theory at all, just observation. Dash meter read in the middle, low idle pressure kissing 1bar, topped up oil, overcooked it and dash reads 1 digit over Max and got 1.5bar idle. After last service repeated and got same result.

I can't think of any scientific law that would agree with the above, not saying it doesn't happen, I just can't figure WHY .. unless it's down to how the pressure gauge or sender operates?
Anyway, my guage is as before, filled to just below max
With regards to higher pressure after the oil change it makes perfect sense to me .. higher hot visosity = higher idle oil pressure. And to be fair I believe I have gone from a W30 to a W50.

It also makes sense to me that the higher hot viscosity will protect higher mileage bearings ... Each to their own tho :p

ballcock said:
I can't think of any scientific law that would agree with the above, not saying it doesn't happen, I just can't figure WHY .. unless it's down to how the pressure gauge or sender operates?
Anyway, my guage is as before, filled to just below max
With regards to higher pressure after the oil change it makes perfect sense to me .. higher hot visosity = higher idle oil pressure. And to be fair I believe I have gone from a W30 to a W50.

It also makes sense to me that the higher hot viscosity will protect higher mileage bearings ... Each to their own tho :p

I tend to agree. The implication from Robertb's post which followed yours was that it was somehow the fact that it was Millers oil which was used which caused the effect, both posts specifically mention the brand. In reality you would see the effect with any brand oil when changing to a thicker oil. I'm not saying that Millers is good or bad, just that it has precious little to do with the change in pressure.

MC

By using thicker oil you are only increasing the reading on a gauge, the pressure increases in front of the bearings by reducing the flow across them, and reducing the oil throw up the bores.
you have to decide which is best, more flow with thinner oil or less flow with thicker oil.
Just got to wait for an expert now.
:grin:

I'm confused. What tyres have we decided to run, what oil and how much of it are we putting in them, and what grade of unleaded are we pouring over them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back