Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

coil packs? starter? argh!!

michaelbbwalker

Trainee
hi folks...
yet another "what is wrong based on symptoms XYZ..." thread...

so a while back when I was driving the car, pressing on, I suddenly experienced a jolt / jerking, I would say around between 3-5k RPM.

I have also had a few times recently, where I get home, and switch off to unload the car, when I try and start it up, it wont fire (turns over OK though), took a few attempts and some light pressing of the accelerator too.
I also had this unpleasant kind of grindy noise a little bit while attempting to start it, it did eventually fire.

so having read half the internet, my initial feeling on the jolt and jerkiness was coil packs, they are probably ancient. Sparks, I don't know when they were last changed but I am thinking quite a while...

the hot start problem, I have just checked and I had a new starter motor and alternator battery harness thingy fitted when the engine was rebuilt around 3 years ago (less than 10k miles), also new oil separator (probably nothing to do with this), among many other things, so I would hope it is not related to these?

other searches have suggested maybe spark plugs, or cam position sensor?

anyone care to throw any more suggestions? the car is actually going in to the indy in the morning, having all new coolant pipes fitted... and I have asked for the coil packs to be inspected / replaced, but I am not so sure now they are at fault....

car has gone in this morning... and it cut out on the way there! which has never happened before... hope its nothing too bad....

Fingers crossed it's not too expensive but the 'grinding" part of your thread above doesn't sound good. 😬

Keep us informed on this as I always find these type of threads very informative. Good luck.

Coil packs do seem to fail when it's cold and wet, (maybe observation bias though) but 3 years is on the short side for life I'd say.

Spark plugs - 4year change on those too.

Grinding - if only on starting hopefully!) Sounds like starter not disengaging.

Did your indy come back with codes / suggestions yet?

sorry I never got any emails to tell me there were replies - I assumed no one cared :D

anyway update - the only fault reported was ... drum roll...

crank position sensor !

when you look up the symptoms of a bad sensor it sounds like everything that I had - poor hot starts, bad running / misfiring etc.
my coil packs were OK so they can wait til another day.
also had a seized fan on the side of the engine? or something? which is being replaced - a bloody expensive fan by the sound of it!

the car is still in the workshop, apparently my hoses were decayed and crumbling so i'm looking forward to peace of mind that my hoses aren't going to blow up after every journey... and also my car should be driving better now, it has felt a bit flat as of late!

will report back on Monday if I get it back, after a painful bill...

michaelbbwalker said:
sorry I never got any emails to tell me there were replies - I assumed no one cared :D

anyway update - the only fault reported was ... drum roll...

crank position sensor !

when you look up the symptoms of a bad sensor it sounds like everything that I had - poor hot starts, bad running / misfiring etc.
my coil packs were OK so they can wait til another day.
also had a seized fan on the side of the engine? or something? which is being replaced - a bloody expensive fan by the sound of it!

the car is still in the workshop, apparently my hoses were decayed and crumbling so i'm looking forward to peace of mind that my hoses aren't going to blow up after every journey... and also my car should be driving better now, it has felt a bit flat as of late!

will report back on Monday if I get it back, after a painful bill...

After reading your original symptoms I was thinking crank sensor, at least it's sorted now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back