Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sell as is or smarten it up?

996Jane

So, last time I posted was over 3 years ago after my 1999 996 Carrera 4 had returned from a full engine rebuild at Hartech after cylinder head failure and now we are thinking of selling.

However, the car has some cosmetic issues and we can't decide whether to try and sell as is or get the things done first. It needs some paint work - front end has crazing on it, which was there when we bought it over four years ago so has obviously deteriorated and does need sorting. There is also some lacquer peel on the drivers door and mirror. It also needs the front seats replaced or repaired as the leather is badly cracked and split in a couple of places.

Its done around 116k Miles, less than 20k since the rebuild and at the same time Hartech did the IMS, repaired the air con and replaced the two rear silencers.

So what would you do? How much would it be worth as is and how much if the cosmetic bits were sorted? I realise there are lots of what ifs but just looking for ideas really.

Cheers

Jane

A lady 996 owner...??

Phil will be along presently.... :floor:

Osh

I think that now is a tough time to sell, and cosmetic problems such as those you describe would deter quite a few buyers, and/or lead to low offers. They'd put me off, for example. Sorry. Value as is.....I imagine £12 - 14k in a private sale.

I presume that a reputable dealer would fix the issues in prepping the car for sale. Since they are the sales experts, I'd advise to do what they would do.

As to what it's then worth; hmmm, private sale, proper Hartech rebuild and sorted cosmetically, my guess is £14 - £16k. This is based on a quick glance at Autotrader; I'm not a dealer!

I doubt that fixing the issues would increase the sale value that you realise - but it might make it sell faster.

It's over the 100k mile mark, which will rule it out for many (note: I'm not saying that's the wise thing to do, just an observation on the market), unless it's perceived as a great deal.

I'd put it up for sale for a price that is based on similar age/mileage cars on Autotrader and see what happens - if it's not moving, then consider getting the car to a paintshop for the front end tidy up it sounds like it needs.

Or, total up the cost of paint and seats and knock that off the asking price, see if that shifts it first, then do the work?

Thanks both.

I realise it's obviously going to have to go reasonably cheaply due to age, mileage etc but thought the 'warts and all' approach might be more desirable than a cheapish cover up?

I think we will advertise as it is initially and then, as you suggest, if it doesn't move, we will have to get it sorted out - although, if I get it sorted, I'll probably end up keeping it 😀

Thanks again.

Jane

I would suggest spending some money to get it professionally detailed. While it may not increase the sale value, a clean nice looking car, albeit with some specific paint issues, will sell faster than something that looks like the owner is tired of it and doesn't care.

I have sold a number of classic and modern cars privately over the past few years, and while I always maintain my cars to the max, I found that most people buying a car, want to feel happy that they bought it, and a nice shiny car means they can show it off straight away. It didn't matter how well it was maintained, if it wasn't nice and shiny too, they would hum and haw about it.

I also found that when I had cleaned them and fixed the niggles I had lived with, I didn't want to sell them :roll:

You might also find that when it is professionally cleaned, that it problems you think are there now, aren't that bad and can be touched up.

Best of luck

I'd get it sorted or you'll just get frustrated by all the low ball bottom feeder offers; not that I frequent 'for sale' threads (I've no interest in all the valuation threads as I don't live in the UK), it looks like it's a tough market out there, and for any car to sell, it needs to be cosmetically sorted as well as not literally dropping oil and coolant on the ground.

I would do as said tot up the costs to make it perfect then knock them off similar priced cars, write an honest advert should sell quick.

Ignore chancers - you will get them even if the car is mint.

Makes no sense to do the work and price it high unless you are a dealer paying trade rates.

I seek out cars like this, buy them and drive them. I don't care the paint is imperfect as it will get more imperfect in my ownership - I buy my cars to drive not to look at.

I think it sounds like a good buy for this time of year. Mechanically good but a little worn sounds like the perfect daily.

Not disagreeing with any of the comments already stated. However, one of the strengths of the Porsche brand is that it means different things to different buyers.

I friend I know loves to just trickle his car around and wash / polish the hell out of it. Not my bag but if it makes him happy etc.......

One of the main strengths of the OP's car for me is the Hartech engine rebuild.(depending on what was actually done of course) I'm more than happy to treat the rest as a project, replacing worn seats with a set of buckets for example.

The pool of buyers maybe smaller but very interested and determined not to miss to a car with engine rebuild and strong mechanicals rather than pretty bodywork.

Hard to give a value, but a cheapish front bumper blow over, and a few hours with a DIY leather restore kit, and a good detail may polish a couple of thousand back into the asking price. £15 -£16k ????

Hartech engine imo adds only a small amount to the value of the car as very few people know what that really means they just see a 10k bill and get scared.

Much easier to see a tatty car than shiny engine internals

I think there are enough discerning buyers out there to make your car very saleable as is.
I too would be much more interested in a Hartech rebuild than shiny bumpers and seats like new.
You just need the right buyer to come along.
I think Hartech would be well enough known to anyone who goes to the bother of reading PistonHeads or 911UK .. that's a pretty big audience.

Best of luck with sale, if I were still looking I'd be sending you a PM...

Maybe a couple of pics on this thread mightn't do any harm either :wink:

I essentially bought a car like yours. It's had 30k on a new engine but on 90k with a few bodywork issues. Main reason was piece of mind and that I could work on the bodywork over time whilst enjoying the car for what it is.

Try as it is then if no luck take it off the market then get it tarted up a bit.

ballcock said:
Maybe a couple of pics on this thread mightn't do any harm either :wink:

OF THE CAR :hand:

:grin:

I'd love a Hartech car, cheaper the better so I can use it as a track sl4g 8)

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back