Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant leak 997.1

Adsum

Seem to be having ongoing problems keeping coolant in the car! first I had coolant leaking from the front; this was from the cross-over pipes which have now been replaced. Then had coolant leak from the rear this repair needed a new water pump! None of these were particularly cheap repairs, so was dismayed to discover further coolant lose today :sad:
After much poking about have discovered a leak from a crack in the side of the coolant reservoir tank and too afraid to ask my Indy how much this is going to cost to replace so thought I would ask you guys in the hope someone could come up with a quick easy cheap fix. Is it something I could repair with a bit of epoxy putty, tank repair kit or such like?
If I do have to have it replaced how much is it likely to cost, anyone had this done recently?

You are Really not having a lot of luck atm :(

The tank is a plastic weld seam .. two halves melted together .. i doubt you would be able to seal it as you can only get at the outer edge of the seam .. the leak would just move further around .

Its about 1.5 hours to replace plus i guess about £130 for a tank.

Ive not yet done one on a 997 .. thats how unlucky you are :frustrated:

The technical side .. if the coolant is lower than the seam then it wont actually leak but it will loose pressure.

At normal pressure water boils at 100 degrees so if you did a hard run then its possible the coolant with no pressure could boil.

With the usual pressure in a system then the boiling point is normally around 115 degrees .

Adsum said:
I would ask you guys in the hope someone could come up with a quick easy cheap fix. Is it something I could repair with a bit of epoxy putty, tank repair kit or such like?

You serious? Its a Porsche 911 man, cant be scrimping on things for a car as such specially when it comes to cooling parts.

I was once told if i was sure on buying a 911, if so be prepared to pay what ever it takes for any repairs needed and not go down the short cut route, its not a FORD.

J

oop's seem to have hit a nerve there with --997-- it's only a small crack, well an inch and half maybe, and I was only asking if a repair was possible
:roll:

Anyway thanks for your reply deMort, much more understanding, I've been quoted £490 to have a new one fitted and was looking into maybe fitting it myself....it was looking fairly straight forward until I read you need to drop the engine 40mm to get the old bottle out and the new one in, is that correct?

Dropping the engine makes life a lot easier .. thats no big deal though .. support the engine on a jack , undo the x2 rear 18mm nuts then lower it ( engine mount bolts at the rear )

It cant go further than the brace bar .

I dont feel a repair is possible as you cant seal around all of the seam so you are pretty much into replaceing it .

Bottle plus labour and tax is about right at that price .. hopefully your luck will change from now on :)

Thanks for the link jl-c ; looks like an engine drop is necessary, so maybe best I leave it to the professionals :sad:

Bloody coolant leaks, I think £490 is a fair price if that inc the tank and vat. and considering the alternative is cooking the engine , suggest you just suck it up and get it done as part of your ave 2k pa car maintenance costs :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back