Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spring ID, 996 Turbo

sim996

Montreal
I've taken the coil springs off my 996 turbo, they seem to be shorter than the HR springs I'm fitting. Shocks look standard and are longer than the B8s I'm putting on.

Anyone know if these are shortened springs?

2q8n4ug.jpg

k3awl4.jpg

They look like std springs to me, mine have coloured dots like that.

Also in the past I've fitted lowered springs which were taller when not compressed like those in the pic. It wasn't a Porsche but they did lower the car.

They look like progressive springs to me. How they work is they've got more coils than std which keep the ride supple in gentle driving but some of the coils are close together and as soon as you load them up eg by braking or cornering the close coils go coil bound and then you have less coils than than std which has the effect of making the spring a higher rate. It also has the effect of keeping the springs tight against their seats when the suspension is fully drooped eg when you jack the car up or go over a hump back bridge

Springs work the opposite way to how I thought. Less coils actually gives a higher spring rate!

Have you fitted them yet, did they lower the car?

Mac

I've got one side fitted and as far as I can tell, the ride height is exactly the same. They look standard from what I can find out, so they'll go in the bin. I've fitted B8s with the new H&R springs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back