Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ACF 50 application and related questions

Johnd52

I am taking advantage of the mild dry weather to clean and protect the car against salt and other nasties during the coming months. I have pulled all the wheel arch liners, cleaning everything and applying ACF 50. Some advice would be useful please

1. I am spraying the ACF on from a plastic bottle. Do I wipe it down or just let it dry.

2. There are some electrical boxes in each rear wheel arch behind the liners. Do these need to be shielded or just not soaked (I assume they are fairly robust given their positioning)

3. With the car jacked up and level, is it safe to remove the diagonal braces that go from just before the wheel across to the back of the gearbox? These were nice alloy extrusions on the 987, but on the 981 they are pressed steel with narrow channels which catch loads of dirt and stones and are a pig to clean out. It would be much easier to sort them off the car and then replace.

One of those satisfying jobs that takes a lot of stress off using the car through the winter.

John, rule of thumb with ACF50 is you can coat everything except brakes , and yes leave to dry naturally . have fun cleaning the car mate :grin:

Hi John, when I had my inner wing liners off that's what I did, just coated everything with either Waxoyl or ACF 50. Found it easier to apply it with a small paint brush as spraying it on it tends to splash everywhere and it ain' t cheap stuff to buy.
As for your brace bars, I would assume they are there for rigidity so taking them off and refitting them shouldn't be an issue, I would probably do those with Waxoyl as it tends to stick better where it's exposed. Remember with Waxoly you need to warm the can up before spraying it on, just put it in a bowl of hot water and leave it for 15 mins, it covers a heck of a lot better when it's warmed up first.

Thank you both for the replies. Tackled the back end today and everything clean now so left to dry properly overnight. A fair amount of crud behind the liners but, as expected, no sign of anything nasty.

I got a 4 litre bottle of ACF from SG Petch in 'boro at a good (internet) price. As you say, not cheap, but if it does the job then it is worth it. I will decant some into a hand spray bottle and try that.

Happy New Year to all.

I used to use this on my motorbikes through the winter, soak everything, leave it, and give it a weekly rinse, but a proper wash in the spring. always did the trick of not rotting the bikes to peices, and believe me, bikes do not like winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back