Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

More than 20% of 911s made were 991s.

T8

Super Moderator
In this months 'Total 911' it states that the total production figure for the 911, from launch in 1963 to 31st October 2018, was 1,049,330 and of those 217,930 were variants of the 991.

Given that an awful lot of pre-2012 cars have shuffled off the mortal coil it seems likely that more than 25% of 911s left on the road are the current model.

Initially this stat' seemed unbelievable but it then dawned on me that this probably reflects how the market for 911s has changed in recent years and more especially how Porsche have conquered new territories.

i.e I doubt very much that the 1 in 4 stat applies in the UK, Germany or the USA but is probably considerably exceeded in new markets such as China.

Along the same lines, another fact I read recently was that, worldwide, the Porsche Macan now outsells all other Porsches put together. I don't see many Porsches at all in my part of the UK and certainly don't see vast numbers of Macans. If anything Caymans seem the most common.

:eek: Stunning statistics.

Just shows how right the overall Porsche marketing strategy is today with 911 sales strong in emerging markets and buoyed up by successful SUV models. As Mary Poppins would say, practically perfect as an automotive business model. 

Every other car is a Cayenne or a Macan where I live. Porsche are seen as the next step when you get to middle management and are too good for an Audi.

This is essentially the way VAG have positioned Porsche in their portfolio - above Audi, but reachable with their finance products for when you get your slightly increased company car allowance.

Tis a business at the end of the day, not run for the enthusiasts.

This months 'Porsche Post' announced that the final 991 rolled off the production line in December 2019.

The total number of all variants produced was a massive 233,540.

That's nearly 21,000 more than the 997.

Is it so surprising that the 991 was the 7th generation, and accounted for a 5th of total production? Given that it was in production far longer than some of the earlier generations, such as the 964 (5 years) and 993 (4 years) and the larger number of variants available. Also, far more GT cars were produced than any previous generation.

It'll be interesting to see if more 992's are produced.

991.2GTS said:
Is it so surprising that the 991 was the 7th generation, and accounted for a 5th of total production?

It's not at all surprising that it was the most produced model but I found it interesting that well over 20% of a 56 year model run were produced in just 7 years.

T8 said:
991.2GTS said:
Is it so surprising that the 991 was the 7th generation, and accounted for a 5th of total production?

It's not at all surprising that it was the most produced model but I found it interesting that well over 20% of a 56 year model run were produced in just 7 years.

The best by some distance the best, only fair the 991 claims the highest numbers :grin: Im even warming to the small turbos :thumb:

It would be interesting to know however what percentage of those are the Iconic NA incarnation.....

T8 said:
991.2GTS said:

The original 911: 81,100 units produced
G Series: 198,414 units produced
964 Series: 74,008 units produced
993 Series: 67,535 units produced
996 Series: 179,163 units produced
997 Series: 215,092 units produced

The big jump came with the 996. At the end of its run, the 996 accounted for 30% of all 911's produced. And the 997 was 26%. Whereas the 964 was only 21% and the 993 only 16%. So, the 991, as a % of the total produced, was less than the two previous generations at the end of their runs.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/pro...th-911-milestone-seven-generations-13735.html

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back