Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 18
997 : 2004- 71
996 : 1997-2005 30
993 : 1993-1998 3
964 : 1989-1993 6
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 21
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 4
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DucatiRob
Albert Park

2006 Porsche 997 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Ohlins Suspension Upgrade and Refresh Reply with quote

Merry Christmas fellow 911uk'ers!

My present to myself this year was these beauties:

Great price from Design911 with their festive discount (11%) Thumb

Planning to refresh the suspension at the same time and would be interested to hear from members who have done the same or similar, what components would be worth swapping out while it is apart and what else to look out for?

I think the top mounts are a no brainer while the new struts are being fitted, these look like great value and seem to have good reviews:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-997-3-8-Coffin-Lower-Control-Arm-Tuning-Fork-X-4-With-Powerflex-Bushes-/332716289344?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely convinced that Powerflex bushes are the way to go, any experience?

I might have a go at fitting the Öhlins myself, but will possibly get it all done by Centre Gravity where it will go for a full geo anyway!
Ducati 996

Robertb
Long Beach

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing useful to add other than
- yes I would get it all done by CG
- I’m jealous!

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohlins Suspension Upgrade and Refresh Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
Merry Christmas fellow 911uk'ers!

My present to myself this year was these beauties:

Great price from Design911 with their festive discount (11%) Thumb

Planning to refresh the suspension at the same time and would be interested to hear from members who have done the same or similar, what components would be worth swapping out while it is apart and what else to look out for?

I think the top mounts are a no brainer while the new struts are being fitted, these look like great value and seem to have good reviews:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-997-3-8-Coffin-Lower-Control-Arm-Tuning-Fork-X-4-With-Powerflex-Bushes-/332716289344?nav=SEARCH

Not entirely convinced that Powerflex bushes are the way to go, any experience?

I might have a go at fitting the Öhlins myself, but will possibly get it all done by Centre Gravity where it will go for a full geo anyway!

Hi Rob, good shout, they are great at the price point, improving the feel of the car by miles. Not perfect- but good.

I would do the diagonal arms all round, (obviously funds dependent), as these make an enormous difference to ride quality and precision of steering etc.

Top mounts - yep. Check all drop links before removing the old stuff and change any that are even remotely suspect.

Good luck mate Thumb

Edited to add; CG will do a mint job of setting the car up to suit your driving style.

ninenineseven
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced front top mounts, control arms with powerflex bushes, tuning forks, drop links and track rods.

Well worth doing in my opinion if you're going to the trouble of changing the suspension.

If you're doing it yourself be prepared to struggle getting the coffin arms off.The bolts in all of mine were ceased to the point where they had to be cut out with a reciprocating saw.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ohlins Suspension Upgrade and Refresh Reply with quote

DynoMike wrote:

Hi Rob, good shout, they are great at the price point, improving the feel of the car by miles. Not perfect- but good.

I would do the diagonal arms all round, (obviously funds dependent), as these make an enormous difference to ride quality and precision of steering etc.

Top mounts - yep. Check all drop links before removing the old stuff and change any that are even remotely suspect.

Good luck mate Thumb

Edited to add; CG will do a mint job of setting the car up to suit your driving style.

Hi Mike

I'm not expecting miracles from the Ohlins to be honest, there are much better coilovers out there, there own TTX units for a start, but they are vastly more expensive and more suited to track use, not something I plan on doing often!

The kit from Spyderperformance has the diagonals and bushes, guessing the diagonals are the source of my low speed knocking!

The drop links are a good call, trying to source some reasonably priced adjustable ones which I think will be a good idea bearing in mind the lowering of the car!
Ducati 996

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninenineseven wrote:
I replaced front top mounts, control arms with powerflex bushes, tuning forks, drop links and track rods.

Well worth doing in my opinion if you're going to the trouble of changing the suspension.

If you're doing it yourself be prepared to struggle getting the coffin arms off.The bolts in all of mine were ceased to the point where they had to be cut out with a reciprocating saw.

Agree, replacing the whole lot maybe the best option as needing to change anything later may be false economy!

How did you find the Powerflex bushes, have heard they can creak a little?

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to get CG to do the whole lot!
Ducati 996

rob_p
Österreich

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DucatiRob wrote:
ninenineseven wrote:

Agree, replacing the whole lot maybe the best option as needing to change anything later may be false economy!

How did you find the Powerflex bushes, have heard they can creak a little?

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to get CG to do the whole lot!

I did this - ohlins and CG. By the time we were all done I was in for around 4K - not cheap but hard to beat in terms of peace of mind.
Ex Audi A8 V8 4.2tdi (best all round car I will ever own?)
Ex Porsche Boxster 986
Ex Mazda MX5 mk1
Plus some other stuff that wasn't very interesting....

RXP.
Monza

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob.

Great choice of coilovers. As mentioned above there are better set ups. However for the road they are pretty much spot on.

I fitted the coilovers, front and rear top mounts. Control arms. Drop links and RSS engine mounts.

I didnt have any knocks before and dont have any now.

It's a pretty easy DIY, the only issue I had was with removing some bolts but MAPP gas is your friend.

Kind regards.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
Hi Rob.

Great choice of coilovers. As mentioned above there are better set ups. However for the road they are pretty much spot on.

I fitted the coilovers, front and rear top mounts. Control arms. Drop links and RSS engine mounts.

I didnt have any knocks before and dont have any now.

It's a pretty easy DIY, the only issue I had was with removing some bolts but MAPP gas is your friend.

Kind regards.

Hi RXP,

Good to hear you're pleased with the set up! I am sure I could tackle it myself given the time, and I might still do that, but the price CG have quoted is it's very tempting to get them to do the whole lot!
Ducati 996

apollokre1d
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what are the better or alternative setups out there?

RXP.
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTX, Intrax, 3 way KW's and Nitrons and even possibly the Bilstein Damptronics if there isn't a back log.

But these all would only be an upgrade over OEM if set up correctly otherwise if you have a poor set up it could potentially be worse or at best almost as good as OEM, in which case... whats the point?

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Just curious, what are the better or alternative setups out there?

My personal favourites are Quantum. I approached Patrick of QRS to see what he could do but it would have involved removal of the dampers a couple of times to optimise the spring rates for my particular car/driving style. I can’t do the work myself anymore, so elected for the Ohlins.

Exe-tc are reputedly very similar to the Quantums but more expensive.
Tractive make good stuff. Ohlins TTX, possibly Nitron but no experience of them myself.

As you can see there are many variations on a theme here, but personally I went for the best performance for the price point.

apollokre1d
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
TTX, Intrax, 3 way KW's and Nitrons and even possibly the Bilstein Damptronics if there isn't a back log.

But these all would only be an upgrade over OEM if set up correctly otherwise if you have a poor set up it could potentially be worse or at best almost as good as OEM, in which case... whats the point?

Fair point Smile

I ask because I've just picked up my car from 9e after getting the Bilstein Damptronics fitted (after waiting well over a year for them) and so far am really impressed. I was always led to think the Ohlins were excellent or even the best but I did not want to lose the PASM / DSC module which is why I went with the Damptronics.

DynoMike wrote:
My personal favourites are Quantum. I approached Patrick of QRS to see what he could do but it would have involved removal of the dampers a couple of times to optimise the spring rates for my particular car/driving style. I can’t do the work myself anymore, so elected for the Ohlins.

Tractive make good stuff. Ohlins TTX, possibly Nitron but no experience of them myself.

As you can see there are many variations on a theme here, but personally I went for the best performance for the price point.

Thanks so much for the info, really good to hear there are so many alternatives out there.

RXP.
Monza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
RXP. wrote:

Fair point Smile

I ask because I've just picked up my car from 9e after getting the Bilstein Damptronics fitted (after waiting well over a year for them) and so far am really impressed. I was always led to think the Ohlins were excellent or even the best but I did not want to lose the PASM / DSC module which is why I went with the Damptronics.

DynoMike wrote:

Thanks so much for the info, really good to hear there are so many alternatives out there.

I live 10 mins away from 9e and Parr Motorsport. If you are not too far away you are more than welcome to come and check out the Ohlins.

apollokre1d
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:
I live 10 mins away from 9e and Parr Motorsport. If you are not too far away you are more than welcome to come and check out the Ohlins.

Thanks so much Thumb I need to let the suspension set in and then will take it back to 9e for a checkup before a track day so I'll drop you a PM closer to the time.

isysman
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice move. You won't regret it. Love my Ohlins on my 911. I wanted the TechArt suspension which is based on Dampronics, but I found out the hard way there was a backlog on them (ordered them and then a few days before they arrived was told they was a backlog). I wanted to keep the PASM button active even though I never used it.

Anyway now that I have the Ohlins I'm very happy.

If you live closer to me then Tech9 can set them up. They did a great job with mine. They race cars as well so they know how to set them up.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isysman wrote:
Nice move. You won't regret it. Love my Ohlins on my 911. I wanted the TechArt suspension which is based on Dampronics, but I found out the hard way there was a backlog on them (ordered them and then a few days before they arrived was told they was a backlog). I wanted to keep the PASM button active even though I never used it.

Anyway now that I have the Ohlins I'm very happy.

If you live closer to me then Tech9 can set them up. They did a great job with mine. They race cars as well so they know how to set them up.

Hi Isysman, I'm near Milton Keynes so Centre Gravity are not too far away from me! I do wish I had a good Indie like Tech9 near to me though!

I did consider the Bilstein Damptronics too, it would have been nice to retain the PASM, but I never use it anyway so it's no great loss! The Bilstein's are good, from all the reviews I have read but the Öhlins are generally considered the best option for all round handling and ride. Plus the price is very un-Ohlins like... I paid £2,200 which is about the same as the rear shock on my bike Surprised . Ohlins TTX are £6-7k, so way out of my range! I believe the R&T are made in Japan (by Yamaha who used to own Ohlins), rather that Sweden like most of their stuff, so that probably explains the good price Thumb
Ducati 996

mermade

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be worth doing the bushes while you are at it, powerflex purple wont give any extra NVH
https://powerflexstore.co.uk/porsche/997-inc-turbo/[/url]

DynoMike
Albert Park

2003 Porsche 996 Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incase some of you are interested in the inner workings of a decent damper, have a good read of this from Quantum.

https://www.quantumracing.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/manual-zero.pdf

It gives a good insight to the subject and is very well explained.

DucatiRob
Albert Park

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mermade wrote:
would be worth doing the bushes while you are at it, powerflex purple wont give any extra NVH
https://powerflexstore.co.uk/porsche/997-inc-turbo/[/url]

Definitely, the spyderperformance kit comes with Powerlex bushes, another reason they seem great value to me!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332716289344

Will be having a chat with CG in the New Year to talk through what else I need to consider.
Ducati 996

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: