Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What would you do?

Lukec4s

Hi guys

I have a 996 c4s with 68k. I find myself looking at 99TT's and wonder if it's worth switching up. My main concern is within my budget I would be looking at a TT with 100k on the clock. Any views on these cars once they pass the 100k mark and the ability to sell it in a few years, say 130k miles.

Cheers

Performance wise Turbo is a world apart from cooking 911s by all reports. Also bear in mind it's a supecar and can generate some supercar bills if you are only used to standard p-tax. Will hold it's value OK but a slow sell at bigger miles

Despite the engine being robust turbo's do still seem to be slow sellers if none standard or with 100k plus miles.
Your car will be in a similar situation once 100k is passed but because of it's lower value the impact will be less.

If you buy at the right price and accept that the value will fall as you put miles on it you can't go wrong.

Then, get on with enjoying the car for what it is - a cut-price supercar. :thumbs:

You'll be as pleasantly surprised as how little it costs to run over your C4S as you will be by the 'oomph' that 90 extra bhp gives you.

Its a scenario that I was only just discussing on another thread in the 997 section, and even more applicable with the older 996 cars. assume we are talking about a car thats close to 20 yrs old ave accepted Porsche miles would put that car at 140k give it another few years so the car is say 22yrs old for it to be under 100k miles it mean it would have been driven an ave of 4.5miles pa but in reality what it means is its driven normally for the first 5 years or so of its life and for the rest of its life its been driven maybe 2k pa . I really am not sure that I would want such a drivers car that had not been used as intended for a big chunk of its life it really cant do these cars any good to stand for long periods between use. thats my 2p on the subject.

In the UK you'll actually have more choice if buying a 996T with less than 100k miles showing than one with more.

Reasons => Average miles p.a falls with age

The downside is that they will cost significantly more to buy and might not actually be a better car.

OK here's a question: what advantage do the Turbo models have over the Carreras APART FROM the straight line oomph? Not trying to criticise or anything, I'm curious never having owned one.
I used to have a BMW 335i tuned to over 400 hp (also a twin turbo six cylinder engine) and found that I could never use the performance, well not safely anyhow. Any serious use of the accelerator pedal and you were instantly at licence-losing speeds.

So I wonder whether supercars - including the Porsche Turbo cars - are wasted on UK roads? Again, no criticism of you Turbo owners / your cars intended, honestly. Happy to be corrected!

So to answer the OP........keep the C4S, unless you drive in Germany a lot, perhaps.

From my perspective, I think a 100k mile turbo, as long as it has been looked after, is a great buy. Will a 101k mile car really be worth much more than one a year later with 110k on it? I think probably not, and so it could be free from depreciation as its already gone over that "scary" 100k mark.

At least thats my logic and why ive kept my turbo which now has 102k miles on it.

Running costs are a bit hit & miss depending upon how its been looked after. In the first 2 years of running my car, besides a set of tyres and a minor service it only cost me £250 in bits. Which £ per mile over 30,000 miles I felt was good value.

Year 3 and its cost a bit more as ive just had a total front to back inspection and anything worn replaced. Even so, I think that bill came to around £3500. So £3750 over 3 years is still pretty good and the bits ive replaced now should be good for another 100k miles. Its now like a new car.

9e did the inspection and whilst it was there I had them check the turbos & engine over - all got the green light from them, so I had them wave their magic wand over it at the same time.

Im actually finding with its new found performance, the car is actually a lot more useable on my daily commute than it was as stock. It just gets from A to B so quickly, and gets through traffic effortlessly. Even when im stuck in traffic I enjoy that im sitting in a 997 turbo when everyone else is in mondeos. Fuel is the only downer really as a daily, 26mpg.

I was in a similar situation to you earlier this year. Looked to chop in my C4S for a Turbo both 996's but the deal fell through. As much as I love my C4S every time I see a Turbo, makes me think 'Why am I not driving a Turbo?'.

Mileage wouldn't bother me too much, nor did any additional running costs. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Counter Of Beans said:
OK here's a question: what advantage do the Turbo models have over the Carreras APART FROM the straight line oomph? Not trying to criticise or anything, I'm curious never having owned one.

My personal maxim is that "You can drive a Turbo like a Carrera but (subject to the conditions being right) you can't drive a Carrera like a Turbo".

I know several people who own both cars and lots of others who, like me, have owned both at some time and all agree that most of the time the Carrera is all you need and can actually be more fun on UK roads.

The biggest difference for me, being an 'ordinary Joe' type of driver, is that the torque of the Turbo and the outright point and squirt acceleration allows me to experience driving a 911 quickly whilst staying well within my limited ability. In a nutshell, I can comfortably keep up with others in their NA cars on anything other than a track. :D

Beyond that I've been driven in various Turbos on various tracks by people far more proficient than me and that's where the difference the extra bhp really shows.

I went from a 4S to a turbo too.

There are several differences between a Carrera and a turbo (particularly in the 996 generation). Wider track, 'uprated' running gear and dampers, different gearboxes (both manual and tip's are uprated over the NA variants).

The turbo is also heavier due to its size and AWD.

The biggest difference is the performance though. It might only have 90bhp more but the way it delivers the power makes it feel like 250bhp more. Once the blowers start spooling low down and the seat grips your lower back you'll know what you're driving.

Then, as Terry says, you can drive it just like a carrera if you like, but dispatching lines of traffic as you overtake them never gets old.

The other difference for people like me is that you might be able to get 20bhp extra out of a NA 996 if you're lucky. With the turbo the power available is only limited by your pocket.

Wonderful cars, they really are :thumb:

EDIT: To answer the OP's question, buy one with as many miles on it as you can, then you'll know its been used and all the stuff will have been done before you get it. Then enjoy the cheapest supercar you can get before prices start rising again... because they will.

My turbo was ok but it did feel a bit of a lump tbh in many situations.
It was quick in a mentally fast turbo diesel kind of way but sometimes you want to rev the nuts off your car and a turbo doesnt really excell in that area.
The GT3 was like a Gazelle in comparison and an NA 996 is a good compromise and still quick enough.

Support all that Terry (T8) states. I'd add that you'll sleep easier knowing it's a Mezger engine and does not have the well known issue of bore scoring or IMS failure and the costs associated with these issues.

Do it. Tune it. Hold on. Remember my wise words. You will not regret it. End of.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back