Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Appreciating Models ( or just less depreciating )

Main Force Patrol

I'm sure somewhere on the Forum in the past this has been done to death but times are a changing quickly so thought it worth another punt !

What Porsche models / age groups / variants do you think represent one of the best value purchase right now from an appreciation perspective only and why ?
I know this may stir the inner anger of 'anti garage queen' blokes but I think most Porsche models do quite well on this front thank you :D

Let the posts flow.......

The ones where you have to be on a "list" to acquire one........and also the lower production runs.

Assuming you haven't got an oil well and cant run to buying the ltd number cars. I think for the general Porsche enthusiast to be able to get into a 997.1 for high teems or early twenties represents a great place if you want a keeper and accept you may have to spend 10k on a rebuild at some point.
I am not for one second saying everyone will need to, but imo anyone buying one should be prepared to accept they may need to or even if its a keeper may not need to but may want to as its a nice refresh and removes some of the risk factors.
Personally if I was newly getting into a 911 and I was ave Joe on ave salary I would be getting a 997.1 3.6 sending to Hartech for the 3.9 conversion and getting a hell of a lot of car for around 30k. or second option would be a 997.1 3.8 for 20/22k drive it enjoy it and always know I might need to spend 10k at some point on it :thumb: :thumb: but spend the money happily knowing that Hartech cars command a premium and I still wouldn't lose much if any money ,but have a ton more fun than driving a euro box and suffering the depreciation hit that comes with all those cars. :thumb: :thumb: 2 years ago I would have said the 996 but they have shot up recently and imo dont any longer represent as good a buy as a 997.1 :thumb:

The ones that are priced cheaper than the sum of their parts.

A rough early boxster or 996 at the very bottom of the market would break for more than they cost to buy because supply exceeds demand.

History tells us these will be broken for parts in their droves, and one day soon there will suddenly be hardly any left and value will be lifted, the same has happened to so many cars, Land Rovers, Minis, Golf GTIs, 924 turbo, 944 S2, 911 SC, 964s etc etc.

wasz said:

A rough early boxster or 996 at the very bottom of the market would break for more than they cost to buy because supply exceeds demand.

History tells us these will be broken for parts in their droves, and one day soon there will suddenly be hardly any left and value will be lifted, the same has happened to so many cars, Land Rovers, Minis, Golf GTIs, 924 turbo, 944 S2, 911 SC, 964s etc etc.
:thumb:

Spot on :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Assuming you haven't got an oil well and cant run to buying the ltd number cars. I think for the general Porsche enthusiast to be able to get into a 997.1 for high teems or early twenties represents a great place if you want a keeper and accept you may have to spend 10k on a rebuild at some point.
I am not for one second saying everyone will need to, but imo anyone buying one should be prepared to accept they may need to or even if its a keeper may not need to but may want to as its a nice refresh and removes some of the risk factors.
Personally if I was newly getting into a 911 and I was ave Joe on ave salary I would be getting a 997.1 3.6 sending to Hartech for the 3.9 conversion and getting a hell of a lot of car for around 30k. or second option would be a 997.1 3.8 for 20/22k drive it enjoy it and always know I might need to spend 10k at some point on it :thumb: :thumb: but spend the money happily knowing that Hartech cars command a premium and I still wouldn't lose much if any money ,but have a ton more fun than driving a euro box and suffering the depreciation hit that comes with all those cars. :thumb: :thumb: 2 years ago I would have said the 996 but they have shot up recently and imo dont any longer represent as good a buy as a 997.1 :thumb:

Interesting Phil and I disagree with very little !
I think it's this 'total cost of ownership' that people have to get their heads around, and it is particularly pertinent to your selection. I'm not sure your average Joe would get the TCoO unless guided by a Porsche enthusiast to what that looked like for a 997 unless they did their research in detail, and fell upon this resource ( like I did a year ago )

R

wasz said:

I've have always wanted to break a car, let me rephrase that.... I would love to feel and see the cash stacking up as I moved in the profit zone :floor:
I must admit I hadn't really thought of that angle to the value of Porsche ownership but when I think about it it's so obvious, since Porsche Tax is a regular moan for all of us here ! :sad:

I have had a few cars over the last 5 years that I have owned for a while and made money on. The best being an NSX which I bought for £40k and sold for £60k 2 years later. Never made money on a Porsche, but I have never sold one. If I get close to breaking even on a car I am very happy indeed. I could probably do that on my C2 which I have had for three years and done a few things to, I couldn't for my turbo or C4 due to what I have spent tinkering.
Trying to buy and run a car to break even is very limiting in terms of making the car right and enjoying it. I'd rather buy the car I want, whether immaculate or a basket case and tweak to my requirements.
Personally, I love to tinker with a car and find the 996 cheap to buy and easy to work on. As more are scrapped parts should become cheaper.

MC

alex yates said:
The ones where you have to be on a "list" to acquire one........and also the lower production runs.

Way beyond my pension reserves Alex ! :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back