Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC washed it when told not to - common experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB79

So my 911C4S went in for routine service. I know the service advisor from previous dealings and all very friendly etc.

I placed a clear DO NOT WASH sign in the windscreen (fortunately took pics) and also told him not to wash it which I have done before and he also added it to the key card.

Car was in overnight as needed some parts, various calls back and forth about authorising work etc.

Returned to collect the next day and it had clearly been washed! My sign in windscreen still there.

Service advisor's response is he was asked by valeters to definitely not wash it as they thought it was dusty but saw the sign in the windscreen and he told them to 'wash it/ hose it' and we clean 'more valuable cars like 918 Spyders'. etc. No apology. Asked to speak to service manager who wouldn't speak to me! Happy to take my £3000 for the work though.

Escalated to dealer principal who has apologised and I have said I want them to pay for it to be redetailed as not just been hosed down etc. Porsche UK's response was to speak to service advisor and tell me it was 'just hosed'.

I know I am being protective but the car underwent extensive paint correction and detailing and it's my car so why not follow instruction! Has anyone else had such blatant arrogance in this regard from an OPC? Just to clear, I can see under my garage lights that it has been abrasively cleaned & smells of a horrible cheap bubble gum type substance, has swirls and is not covered in water marks as you would expect a just rinsed but not touched car to be.

I won't name them to give them chance to reply but it honestly baffles me.

Yep, I'd seriously not be happy. The fact they remove paint from all the cars in their range is of no comfort to me!

Keep pushing it!

Most of the time they leave mine alone, but have washed it a couple of times in error. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to get it right every time.

Not ideal and I've not had any issues with Sheffield but occasionally mistakes are made ,
Sheffield do a free wash facility on Saturday morning,I personally don't use it because there's only one person washes my 911 and that me but it's always booked up especially this time of the year.
SteveW

Magic919 said:
Most of the time they leave mine alone, but have washed it a couple of times in error. I don't think it's realistic to expect them to get it right every time.

I take your point but I'm not sure how it can be a 'mistake' when the service advisor admits he consciously disregarded what he has been told without seeking your permission and then justifies it etc. I'm a doctor, if I ignore
someone's wishes there are consequences (extreme example I know). Not realistic to get it right every time? A bit perplexed by that.

Am I reading this correctly?

You asked them not to wash it, they washed it and now you are getting the dealer principal and Porsche UK involved.

I'd expect a doctor to face consequences if he hosed down a patient with a pressure washer. That's fair enough.

I'd be p1ssed off after going to the lengths of a message left in the car etc.

The fact they remove paint from their entire range is of little comfort to me!

m119cars said:
Am I reading this correctly?

You asked them not to wash it, they washed it and now you are getting the dealer principal and Porsche UK involved.

If the service manager won't speak to you about it (reasons unexplained) and the service advisor tells you they ignored what you told them then some escalation is the only option. An apology from the service advisor and acknowledgement that it is wrong so won't happen again would have helped. Telling me they wash more expensive cars than mine didn't help and walking off didn't either. It was more the shock that he told me the valeters came to
him and said this car has a sign saying 'do not wash', it's a bit dusty so I just wanted to confirm the instruction......the rest has been well discussed. If he forgot that would be annoying but we are all human.

Never had an issue with this at any dealership of any car brand including Porsche so not sure why you it was consciously ignored.

We all have different things that are important to us. I might be an eccentric fruitloop the paint and the cost of work that has gone into correcting and maintaining it is important to me.

The return of Marty Wild said:
I'd be p1ssed off after going to the lengths of a message left in the car etc.

The fact they remove paint from their entire range is of little comfort to me!

Thank you - I am not going mad! Variety of responses is interesting.

Magic919 said:
I'd expect a doctor to face consequences if he hosed down a patient with a pressure washer. That's fair enough.

:grin:

Funny mental image popped into head there.

I'd be annoyed too RB. Once you get into detailing or having cars detailed you realise that every bit of a contact, whether it be with a sponge or a hand touching it, results in scratches, however minor.

Trouble is most people, even at your local dealership, just won't see it as important as that.
I'd vote with my feet and go elsewhere, but I probably wouldn't expect any joy from Porsche. They certainly won't give you £300+ to have it detailed again.

Annoying though...

Marky911 said:
Magic919 said:

:grin:

Funny mental image popped into head there.

I'd be annoyed too RB. Once you get into detailing or having cars detailed you realise that every bit of a contact, whether it be with a sponge or a hand touching it, results in scratches, however minor.

Trouble is most people, even at your local dealership, just won't see it as important as that.
I'd vote with my feet and go elsewhere, but I probably wouldn't expect any joy from Porsche. They certainly won't give you £300+ to have it detailed again.

Annoying though...

Thanks Marky, you are exactly right about the anality of detailing. It's just the flagrant lack of an apology that really irked me.
I agree I don't expect Porsche to role over on the money front but, as you can tell, I am not a pushover :)

When you've spent 14 back breaking hours detailing a car by hand... you're the only person that washes it, simple as.

No one else, is ever going to care about the finish, quite simply because it's not theirs.

In this day and age of HP 'ownership', people caring about their paint is becoming a thing of the past sadly. Just look at your nearest supermarket and the flash metal getting its paint removed every day!

So annoyed, he posted about it twice! Ha ha

MODs?

The return of Marty Wild said:
When you've spent 14 back breaking hours detailing a car by hand... you're the only person that washes it, simple as.

No one else, is ever going to care about the finish, quite simply because it's not theirs.

In this day and age of HP 'ownership', people caring about their paint is becoming a thing of the past sadly. Just look at your nearest supermarket and the flash metal getting its paint removed every day!

We seem to be in the minority but thank you - couldn't have put it better myself in terms of the dedication of time and cost to properly detail a car.
I'm probably a bit weird and probably will drink alone for the rest of time but I'll always drive a car with good paint (well did before last week) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back