Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A strange item on the front bumper 996T

Zrozze

Trainee
Hi Guys

Does anyone know what it can be? It is located in the inner part of the front
bumper.

Thanks
Dom

Attachments

• img_20181204_170135_144.jpg
    img_20181204_170135_144.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,190
  • img_20181204_170148_195.jpg
    img_20181204_170148_195.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,190
  • img_20180831_wa0001_103.jpg
    img_20180831_wa0001_103.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 2,190
It looks like an actuator for a James Bond style changable numberplate.

MC

Excuse my ignorance, is that designed to dip the number plate to avoid speed cameras? Is there another on the rear?

I've seen something similar on a showcar that retracted the numberplate for shows : that was quite neat as it hid the plate and left no mark, this one is clearly not cosmetic!

I thought about it at the beginning. There is another cable connection near the air intake. But in the cabin I can not find any button which is responsible to turn it on.

asterix_the_gaul said:
Excuse my ignorance, is that designed to dip the number plate to avoid speed cameras? Is there another on the rear?

I've seen something similar on a showcar that retracted the numberplate for shows : that was quite neat as it hid the plate and left no mark, this one is clearly not cosmetic!
Back registration plate number is normal.

maybe they never finished the install, that hole at the front looks the right size for the muzzle of a machine gun.. it was going to be 007's weekend car :grin:

asterix_the_gaul said:
maybe they never finished the install, that hole at the front looks the right size for the muzzle of a machine gun.. it was going to be 007's weekend car :grin:
:grin:

MisterCorn said:

MC

I was jokingly going to suggest that too :eek:

I need one, can Alex make a few of these :dont know:

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

I was jokingly going to suggest that too :eek:

I need one, can Alex make a few of these :dont know:

:thumb:

Forum group buy?

I was gonna say speed trap detector/jammer, but the hinged numberplate plinth does support the plate flipper idea.

Clearly not as well made as Q would have done it though.

I have often wondered (whilst in average camera zones) how far you would manage to travel in excess of speed limit with no plates on before getting pulled.

The point of it is for speed cameras , it lowers the plate so it cant be seen .. logically there should be one at the rear .

No switch would indicate it may be connected to a radar camera and activated automatically .. it does seem to me that this is only a partial install though .

Highly illegal reguardless ... far more than just a speeding ticket .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back