Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oxygen sensor help

knw911

Hi guys and gals

So engine warning light came on today. Reading th fault codes showed bank 1 sensor 2.

Watched a couple of YouTube videos and it looks a simple Job.

Questions I have are:

1. Which side is bank 1 (drivers or passenger)

2. Is sensor two pre cat or cat?

3. What is the part number (I'll prob stick to oem Bosch unless someone tells me otherwise)

4. Best place to buy the part?

Thanks guys. Appreciate your help in advance.

Bank one of the engine is passenger side on a RHD car, but remember the exhaust crosses over so bank one exhaust is drivers side before you change the wrong sensor!
Sensor2 is post Cat as far as I know
Don't know the part number, put this item number in eBay
I believe that's the right one.

Thanks fella - I'll get it up in a ramp and check it out.

Aghhh we meet again :D

It depends on what the code actually is .. you have codes for ageing , too lean , too weak heater etc etc and its not always a sensor .. it depends on what the code actually says .

Ill go for ageing , if its this then its a slow signal and normally the lambda sensor .. be aware though that the other side will also be slow but not as bad .. its not uncommon to change one sensor for an ageing fault then get exactly the same fault but on the other side a week later.

It doesnt always happen .. but sods law and it will .

Please post the code and description if you can :)

deMort said:
Aghhh we meet again :D

It depends on what the code actually is .. you have codes for ageing , too lean , too weak heater etc etc and its not always a sensor .. it depends on what the code actually says .

Ill go for ageing , if its this then its a slow signal and normally the lambda sensor .. be aware though that the other side will also be slow but not as bad .. its not uncommon to change one sensor for an ageing fault then get exactly the same fault but on the other side a week later.

It doesnt always happen .. but sods law and it will .

Please post the code and description if you can :)

Really must stop meeting like this hahaa:

Code below:

P0036 H02S
Heated Oxygen
Sensor - Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Ok that will probably be the sensor but it could also be a wiring fault.

You need to unplug bank 1 post cat lambda sensor and check for a resistance across the x2 white wires of the SENSOR .. i dont know off hand the correct resistance , it alters with temp on a tester but if you have an open circuit then you have proved its the sensor .. you can do this without removing the sensor so thats good.

These sensors dont always want to come out so if replacing it DIY then have a go , you may get lucky but if no access to heat ( oxy acet. ) then it might be best to get your indy to do it .

From cold i would connect a volt meter to the wires coming in (same wires but on the other plug ) then start the car and look for 12 volts .. i would do this if i wasnt sure it was the sensor and thought it was a wiring issue to the sensor .

If I clear the code is it safe(ish) to drive? Due to be taking it up to Leeds tues. I could get it booked in there (200 mile drive).

Its a " save the planet " fault code .. it will have pretty much no bearing on how the car runs .. its there to warm up the sensor quickly and reduce harmfull emissions as soon as possible .

You could in theory clear the code and do the same roughly every 5 days if you wished ... more often if theres a total break or it wont clear at all but lambda faults normally take 5 warm up cycles to register a fault .

turned out to be wiring issue and not the sensor. new loom made up and working fine. thanks folks

Out of interest where was the wire damaged and was there an obvious reason for it having happened?

I asked the question, but the Mechanics were non the wiser. Pesky rats? hahah :dont know: :floor:

if you have mice in or near your garage then trust me it needs to be sorted .. you have no idea the amount of damage they can cuase ..

Ive seen all things from cars being written off to having a live mouse in a car that i was trying to catch .. no chance basically .. they are a dam site faster than i am lol .

The " smell " is also pretty bad .. i wore a respirator one time when working on a car it was that bad !

You would look around the cross brace bar .. main brace under the engine .. from there the wiring goes up and into the main loom so the bar area is the most obvious .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back