Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering rack woes

LSDFJ00

Trainee
Guys

Anyone else experienced similar??
Had my rack refurbed by a well known source about 3000 miles ago (read 6 years).
I have just discovered large amounts of power steering fluid in the rubber gaitors. Having trouble believing it's only lasted such a short way down the road!!
Do you think lack of/irregular use has caused this premature wear in the seals or are the repairers just naff?

Hi,

I had my rack refurbished in 2003 at about 53000 Kms in Q8 then had it done again due to a leak in January 2016 at about 97500 Kms , same as you fluid in the rubber gaiters. So, I got 44500 Kms between refurbs over 13 years, about 3500 Kms a year. I think yours could be a lack of use thing to be honest. Seals harden and then leak if they are not being lubricated regularly.

I used Kiley Clinton in Birmingham (No affiliation) to refurbish mine and was very please with their work. If the rack is not suitable for refurbishing they will tell you, price was good too.

I did flush out the old fluid before I fitted the refurbished rack by the way.

Good luck with the repair.

ATB :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back