Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lifter renewal

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm going to be giving a mate a hand changing the tappets in his car, this will be on bank 2. The car has an intermittent knocking at idle but clears when the revs lift, I posted about this previously.

Is there any guides on this, Mainly for timing the car up and I'm also going to need something for locking the cams, and info would be much appreciated

Thanks for the links deMort, the car is a 1999 C4

Are we better going to Porsche for the lifters also is there anything else you would advise we do when we've got it timed up etc.

Thanks again

Tappet replacement is pretty straight forward .. not the easiest of jobs though .. be VERY carefull sealing the cam cover .. not too much sealent .. the grooves around the cam cover green bungs .. you DONT want sealent to block these .

I put the sealent on then use a ruler to spread it out and wipe off any excess sealent .

lifters .. anywhere you can get them , they are all the same as far as im aware .

Im not sure the year of your car .. if its vario cam plus then easy , just vario cam and you have to align the chain on the cams .. instructions though are on the download .

Road test the car .. 10 miles then inspect .. if a problem then you will have oil leaks at that point ... im thinking too much sealent and the green bungs get pushed out for this check .

EDIT ..

Read and understand the instructions BEFORE you do this job .

Second Edit .. align the chain as per instructions on the download . you have a chain linking the cams . .. if the slippers are worn then replace .

As Demort says, you'll definitely want to stick a new set of cam chain guide pads in.
The head ones get the most stick due to the size and profile of them.

Inexpensive and a total no-brainer while you're in there. They can start wearing from as early as 50k miles.
Here are mine after 65k.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back