Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manual vs PDK

Lenny39

Will be looking to buy a 997.2 once I've sold my current car. Originally considered a GTS but slightly concerned about the depreciation when I start clocking up the miles, I don't want another garage queen!! So now considering the less expensive 997.2CS. I'm very tempted with a manual. Are they as desirable as the PDK (which I've also tried and was impressed with)?

Lenny39 said:
Will be looking to buy a 997.2 once I've sold my current car. Originally considered a GTS but slightly concerned about the depreciation when I start clocking up the miles, I don't want another garage queen!! So now considering the less expensive 997.2CS. I'm very tempted with a manual. Are they as desirable as the PDK (which I've also tried and was impressed with)?

Shed loads of threads on the manual v PDK debate on here. Do some research then drive both.
Make sure you go for the right colour.

Lenny39 said:

Very much so :thumb: I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed in either.

Lenny39 said:

I would suggest that you go out ,drive them both back to back...buy the one you like better don't worry a toss about whether the resale is good ,bad or indifferent , enjoy the car until you don't , then move it on for the next best thing when that time comes ....' One life ' and all that .......!

T

Lenny,
Manual is a fantastic gearbox. Every trip has theatre. I couldn't see myself going for a PDK anytime soon. I'd highly recommend trying to get a car with PSE as without it you'll be wanting for noise. Otherwise you'll be looking to the aftermarket to rectify that.
Great choice of car, you won't be disappointed.

Both the manuals and the PDK's are desirable; its a great car either way. I suppose it depends on your personal preference and the sort of driving you mostly do.
For example, I prefer to have one less thing to worry about, and the roads where I live are often congested. So a PDK is my preference - it's the best "auto" I've ever used.
I also think the Gen 2 is the best used purchase right now; GTS's, Turbos and GT's are very nice but massively more expensive. Meanwhile cars with the M96/M97 engine are too unreliable for my risk appetite.

I always wanted manual. Test drove back to back and the manual was everything I thought it would be.... And more! Probably best feeling manual I've ever driven, albeit a short test drive.

I then drove the PDK, with paddles (a must!) and felt for me, it was the 'best of both worlds'.

Enjoy testing :thumb:

I have been lucky enough to own both manual and PDK. For me the PDK is the better car but that's not for everybody so as said by others only you will know when you drive them both which you want.

Horses for courses! For me the manual box is a more involving drive, but the PDK is a brilliant piece of kit! I think manuals will be more desirable in the long run though :D

I absolutely agree that the PDK is a great bit of kit. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I prefer the manual box. A manual coupe is just classic, timeless stuff.

As someone who now owns cars with a manual and a PDK gearbox I can say they both have their merits so it depends on what you want from it. You need to drive both especially the PDK if it's something you don't have a lot of experience with. Then you can make an informed decision.

If you're worried about future residuals, a well sorted manual 997.2 will be a rare beast in a few years.

When I bought with my budget 2 years ago, I didn't have this conundrum as tip vs manual for the Gen 1 is an obvious choice. Just about my only regret is not driving the car more!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back