Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

128Gb?

murph7355

Hello all

I've been quiet on the forum for a little while - combination of enjoying the car and life being busy :)

I suspect not many are pushing the PCM system too far, but on the off chance has anyone had any luck getting a 128Gb USB stick to work?

I have a 64Gb stick working nicely. Takes a while (several minutes) for it to load up, but works well thereafter. I'm not at the files limit with the 64Gb stick, so thought I'd try a 128Gb one.

That one, however, won't work no matter what I try. Some tracks play fine, others it skips. I suspect because it's not reading the FAT table correctly. But thought I'd see if anyone has had any joy :)

(Was hoping I'd be able to get album art sorted, but no chance :)).

The maximum number of tracks per USB device is 10,000.
A USB device may hold a maximum of 2,000 folders in total.
Each folder in turn may contain a maximum of 1,000 tracks.
The maximum directory depth is 11 levels.
Up to 8 partitions are supported.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2012-911-carrera-manual/100/42/USB

I think a 128gb stick is ok on yours but it may well be the track amount that is causeing the issues as above .. but this is only a screen grab .. i dont have any actual data on this .

deMort said:
The maximum number of tracks per USB device is 10,000.
A USB device may hold a maximum of 2,000 folders in total.
Each folder in turn may contain a maximum of 1,000 tracks.
The maximum directory depth is 11 levels.
Up to 8 partitions are supported.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2012-911-carrera-manual/100/42/USB

I think a 128gb stick is ok on yours but it may well be the track amount that is causeing the issues as above .. but this is only a screen grab .. i dont have any actual data on this .
Track numbers etc are all good. The only difference to the 64Gb stick is the size. But...

The partitions thing is interesting and I'd not thought of that before...will see if I can play with that :)

I have no info on these im afraid but i can say ive bought a 128gb stick before and it didnt work properly .. it was the stick .. so it may not be the PCM .. but to be fair the PCM might need an update .. there are many versions of discs to correct problems (an update disc ) but this is OPC only and you take your chances there .. not all OPC mechaics have worked or indeed know the problems on a 997 .

Thanks.

I tried partitioning it and no dice. Still does the same thing.

Am taking the car to an OPC on Monday to look at putting a warranty on it - will ask them at the same time if there are updates they can apply (spoke to them already about 7-digit postcode and updated maps...apparently there's a new set due next year so will wait for that).

64Gb of music will just have to do for now :)

Thanks again

Have you tried to format the 128g on a PC?

Try a format each time to see if it works,

FAT
FAT32
NTFS

you will get that option when formatting any disc/mem stick!

Failing that then the stereo may not support above 64g ! So the only 3 options, a system update IF porsche has carried out this to enable higher capacity memory stick, live with a 64g which is alot anyway or upgrade your stereo to an aftermarket one !

J

-- 997 -- said:
Have you tried to format the 128g on a PC?

Try a format each time to see if it works,

FAT
FAT32
NTFS

you will get that option when formatting any disc/mem stick!

J
Yup.

Has to be FAT32. Easiest using an app called GUIFormat, though can be done from the command line.

Tried the whole lot, and partitioning it. No dice. I don't think the PCM system likes such large capacities.

It recognises the stick, but only plays some of the songs, skipping the rest (I'm suspecting it is struggling reading the allocation table due to its size).

murph7355 said:
Thanks.

I tried partitioning it and no dice. Still does the same thing.

Am taking the car to an OPC on Monday to look at putting a warranty on it - will ask them at the same time if there are updates they can apply (spoke to them already about 7-digit postcode and updated maps...apparently there's a new set due next year so will wait for that).

64Gb of music will just have to do for now :)

Thanks again

Interesting anymore info about these map updates?

No further info unfortunately - I totally forgot to ask about the PCM updates!

Will be talking to them again over the next week so will ask then :)

(A poster on PH reckons map updates are out already...).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back