Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dreaded handrake

Endoman

As the motor and box are out. I kept going and dismantled the rear suspension as well (Jackal has a lot to answer for )
As it has already been done once it was fairly easy to dismantle and off for cleaning and powdercoating.
The big problem was the handbrake cables. The outer sheath was broken both sides and the mechanism inside the hub very stiff.
Outer cable to guide tube was totally fused.
Getting the guide tubes out was a real mare only to find they are nla.
I've found a couple on German ebay but I'm sure this fix would have worked:- http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1199308
They are slightly different as the 993 has a bracket to hold the brake sensor cable.

Attachments

• guide_tube_106.jpg
    guide_tube_106.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,751
  • guide_tube_106.jpg
    guide_tube_106.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,751
This is what happens if you try to twist it. More successful method was to heat up the tube and use a drift after cutting the cable.

Attachments

• not_twisted_423.jpg
    not_twisted_423.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,653
  • not_twisted_423.jpg
    not_twisted_423.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,653
  • twisted_789.jpg
    twisted_789.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,653
  • twisted_789.jpg
    twisted_789.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,653
Yep been there seen it done with that particular issue...they just won't budge with destroying them, I managed to get hold of a couple but like you say not readily available..

Will look great with the suspension and side panels powder coated, are you replacing the rear wheel bearings whilst hubs are off?.

The problem you will have (as I did) you go to put the hubs back on and you will be forced to clean and paint them also as I they will shyte otherwise. Throughout my project it has been very difficult to know where to draw the line :)

Trev

Thought about it, same dilemma. I have replaced 1 abs sensor and will replace the other but the bearings will be left. I'll mask them off and do my best to clean up the hubs as they are with my soda blaster. I'm just a little concerned that the powder coating may interfere with correct torque settings.
I've seen wheel nuts come loose after wheels have been repainted so the bits I'm having done will most likely have the coating removed around the suspension mounting points. I should have blanked them off and I will be using these as well https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/993/eccentric-adjuster-locking-kit-for-993/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back