Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smokey and not the bandit i hope

rizla8100

Hi All

Firstly id like to say hello,
i am a new to the Porsche scene having not long purchased a Cayman S gen 1 as a daily drive. Smiles for Miles :D

I am far from car savvy and may sound stupid in my queries and question going forward so i apologise now.

My S has been looked after as far as i can see with fPsh and 80k however recently i noticed it has begun to smoke a lot first thing in morning on startup. It also then repeats this at the end of the working day roughly 8 hours later.

It seems to be white smoke and bellows out in my opinion until the revs settle and then further decreases when engine gets up to temperature. a defo strong petrol smell if you stand at the rear.

I never noticed it when i first bought it so I am worried if it is something that's got worse or is it an underlying issue?

The oil levels need topping up here and there but i understand that is common. Nothing was highlighted at last major Porsche service regarding any leaks however i don't recall it smoking as much at that point

Yes its colder days and nights but it began when the weather was far from cold. AH the car runs well so no know performance issues i have picked up on.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. I do have a little video recorded of the smoke first thing in morning.

Also i have the fog / side light bulb out, is this something easy to replace as i understand you have to remove trim etc externally :dont know:

If i can replace the bulb anyone have any recommendation to better LED bulbs to match the HD headlamps as these are the yellow look :nooo:

Once again thanks for any assistance in advance

Attachments

• smoke_959.gif
    smoke_959.gif
    42.8 KB · Views: 6,807
Condensation is common on cold start at this time of year - should disappear when warmed up. Initial smell of petrol is also from a cold start.

Thank you all :)

Yes the smoke disappears and as soon as car is up to temp things seem perfect.

When you are new to such then things just make you panic i guess.

Did the GIF actually work as i don't see it apart from being a pic.

Gif didnt work .. just a static picture im afraid .. if you want to send me the video ill upload it to you tube and post here if needed .

[email protected]

From the picture it looks normal but it should clear after about 30 seconds .

Downside of a flat engine im afraid .. mind you the plus sides are pretty good :D

Front lights .. i cant remember off hand if they are the same as a 997 .. have a look in the book pack .. if theres a credit card size bit of plastic there then you use that and it will have the instructions on it .

rizla8100 said:
Thank you all :)

Yes the smoke disappears and as soon as car is up to temp things seem perfect.

When you are new to such then things just make you panic i guess.

Ahhhh... Here ve have our first case of Porsche Paranoia... Don't vorry, it vill only get vorse!

:D

I have a Gen1 S, I have modded all the exterior lights pretty much.

Is it Fog or sidelight you want doing? There are two different bulbs in there, both can be updated to LEDs, problem with the sidelights is the bulbs have a little reflector covering the bulb. This means that due to the way LEDs emit their light, a lot of the light output is caught by said reflectors leaving them pretty dull. So I then bought even bigger LED bulbs with loads of SMDs on, that little reflector than obstructs these bigger bulbs from even fitting in the housing. I actually pulled the reflectors out in the end.

Off the top of my head, the Fogs are H11, something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078YSQ...t=&hvlocphy=1006598&hvtargid=pla-457871815665

The sidelights are your pretty much standard:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HAM8...t=&hvlocphy=1006598&hvtargid=pla-573441795268

I cannot vouch for if these examples will fit, I am going off the top of my head. And as mentioned, unless you rip the reflector out, with the sidelights you have limited space. For reference though, you need H11 Fogs and H6W sidelights.

Personally, I would bin off the hideous fogs/sidelights and get the DRL Rad covers that I have, I can put a word in for you with the manufacturer, might be able to get you a little money off.

Here is my ownership thread, page 3 is where I talk about lighting mods:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116411&start=40

Thanks DeMort, appreciate it, i have forwarded the video, it would be good to get second opinion on it as mine is of Porsche Paranoia as Ragpicker outlined :mrgreen: I'm very pessimistic in general so with such a beauty the paranoia will be another level
:)

Just to add it isnt one off puffs for a short period it actually lasts a couple of mins until the car temp goes up to normal and then it stops. freaks me out when looking through the rear view :wtf:

@MartyWild thank you, those DRL rad covers look awesome. If you dont mind me asking what roughly do a set go for in general? im having a search online.

@ Rizla, they are made solely by a chap in the States, I've been in contact with him a fair bit since having my car.

http://ledspars.com/

Going for $250 so at today's spot rate, just under £195.

As I said, might be able to get a little reduction for you if you want me to contact him. I think it is well worth it, the fogs/sides are hideously outdated on our cars and the cost of replacing the rads and condensers isn't negligible. These keep your ducts detritus free all year round whilst improving the look of the car.

Video is here ...

https://youtu.be/PTBuqxSJMwI

Overall its pretty normal but at a push i would say it lasts a bit too long ..

For now i would just say monitor it .. cold mornings and there will be condensation in the exhaust so it will be a bit worse .

if you wanted to be pedantic then get the AOS .. Air Oil Seperator replaced .. im not convinced its warrented atm but that would be the next step for any garage looking for a fault .

Its also not a huge cost in the great scheme of things .

Thanks very much DeMort i will keep an eye on it for now and enjoy the ride.

@ Marty Wild yes please if you could id appreciate that. As you said apart from looking a lot better they are also protective.

Will drop him an email this instance.

Rizla, sent you a PM.

If you do decide to buy them, I'm happy to offer up fitting advice should you need it. I bought the thinnest but long cable ties I could find to make the install as subtle as poss.

I also created an extension to my Dyson so I could hoover all the crap out of the ducts. Either way, no matter how you do it, it is worthy cleaning out the ducts to have them 100% empty from the start.

Hope you're enjoying the car and warm it up thoroughly every time you use it. Having seen your vid, I'd get her out for a proper run, blow out the cobwebs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back