Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Can ordinary polish and compound be used on headlights?

NedHan79

As per title? I have farclea g3 cutting compound and meguirs ultimate compound as well as waxes already along with a variety of buffing pads.

Can these be used to do headlights? They aren't to bad but I'd just like them to be their best

It can, but the original coating on the lights is very hard (puts up a fight even against sandpaper), so expect to be polishing for a while.

I would use a proper headlight polishing compound; the one that comes in the 3M headlight kit was brilliant but I've never been able to work out what it is to replace it, also the Glass Polish Shop headlight polish, or Meguiars PlastRX.

Seal with UV sealant.

Ok. Ive glass polish there so might give that a go.
Just doin my homework as I've started to give the paint a going over.
1st go I've used farclea g3 cut
2nd is meguirs ultimate compound
And 3rd will be meguirs ultimate polish.

Only done the roof, bonnet and 1 side with the 1st 2 stages.
I can only do so much at a time due to a back complaint.
The paint was never bad but it lacked any sort of shine. It has lots of fine scratches but what I have done is greatly improved it. Not a professional job but a decent job all the same.

Sounds good- You will need a wax or paint sealant after the Ultimate Polish will seal and protect the paint.

The headlights come out really easy, so good to polish up off the car. The 3M kit is great.

I'll take the headlights out so I can get as far up the bumper as possible anyway. It'll probably take me a few weeks to do the whole thing but I'll get there. Bumper has to come off as well to clean the radiators.

I managed to burn a bit of paint of the wing mirror but it's hardly noticeable.
My sun roofs in very poor order paint wise. Very bad finish and scratches right around the edge. Been over it as much as I think safe with the buff so I'd say it'll need painted.

Rome wasn't built in a day

Oh and I've bilt hamber double speed wax to finish it off.

It's a good way of detailing a car- taking your time to do each stage properly. I did mine like that in the late winter, took a couple of weeks.

I think g3 will struggle as it did for me. I used some mothers mag alu polish on mine and still wasnt stong enough either. I think a decent sand first then polish back and protect with clear coat, uv spray like arrospace 303 or uv clear film to protect.

Ok. Thanks for the tips. They really are t bad at all but I'm going to the hassle of 3 stage polish on the paint I may as well do the headlights.

Can the rear lights be done?
I think they're nice and tidy so I might just stick a coat of wax on them

I machine polished mine with G3 and they look mint.
Incidentally I left mine installed and masked out the surround areas as I have launched a headlamp across the workshop before when machine polishing them on the bench. :what: :oops:

Sounds good. I'll maybe leave them in and worry about polishing the bumper edges when I pull the bumper off to do the rads

I've no idea how long it'll last but my car is purely a toy so won't be out that much. I've wet n dry sand paper there but my lights really aren't bad so I was hoping not to need that much work. I don't want to do the lights until o get a sealant and it looks like it'll just be easier to buy a restoration kit, on eBay at least.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back