Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Check engine light

Poker2009

Suzuka
So I topped up with oil about a week ago, and have been driving around normally, and today the check engine light came on. I pulled over and opened the rear boot lid to find I have stupidly left the cap off after topping up.

Fortunately there are no signs of oil splash, and the oil level shows normal.

Do I need to worry? Will the warning message go away itself?

Thanks

Usually it clears itself. If not you will need to clear the code. It takes two clear full engine cycles (cold to fully hot) before you know it's definitely cleared iirc

Thanks - hopefully clears itself soon. I googled and read on another forum, someone else did the same thing, and it cleared after a few days/50 miles.

The car is running as normal, which is comforting!

montygraphics is spot on .. im thinking hes in the trade atm :wink:

It will take several warm up cycles for the car to realise the engine is fine and turn out the eml .. its a long term evaluation by the car as with no oil cap you would have had a lean mixture which was upsetting the adaptions .. maxed out basically .

Idle would have been pretty lumpy at the begining but the car would try to adapt which is why it ran better after say 20 miles of leaveing the cap off .

It now has to re adapt back to a normal setting .

Fastest way is either to delete a fault code in the DME or trigger a fault code (unplug the Maf engine running ) then delete it ..

This will reset the adaptions to base line .

I don't have access to PIWIS, and rarely visit a workshop - so will have to wait for the fault code to go away.

I didn't notice any problem with the car since topping up with oil and leaving the cap off - not sure what that says about my observation skills!

Only today after putting the cap back on, I noticed the engine is hunting (needle bobbing up and down) a bit at idle.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back