Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitted New Head Unit Today - Now Horn Toots When I Lock It

½cwt

So I fitted a new Kenwood head unit to replace the factory Becker unit in my 2000 Boxster S, great to have BT streaming and DAB radio and improved sound quality even from the OEM speakers. I also swapped out the CD storage unit in the lower console for a plain bin (Thanks 9apart) so have got decent storage for wallet and phones etc. Planning to remove the CD changer too for a bit more oddment space in the front.

One strange thing though; since I've changed the head unit when I lock the car it toots the horn once when the indicators flash. Any ideas? :?:

It means the car thinks something is not shut properly... did you by any chance fit an iPod cable or USB in the glovebox or centre armrest bin?

I fitted a kenwood unit too... looks good, actually quite OE once you get the illumination colour right.

It's your head unit at a guess. When I fit mine I had a similar problem. The horn would toot as though something wasn't shut and then it kept tripping the alarm off. I ended up disconnecting the unit, leaving it a few hours then reconnecting it and it has been fine since. I put it down to something in the head unit constantly using power and putting a drain on the battery, which then triggered something in the alarm system.

Theres a pair of anti-theft alarm contacts inside the cage where the head unit fits which need to be pushed in when you install the aftermarket one. Most times its as simple as pulling it out and re-fitting that gets these pushed in enough to not set off the alarm.

:agree:

Pull the wire off of the metal plate n/s of the radio .. its the alarm contact thats now earthed due to different radio / head unit thats causeing this .

Thanks for the replies, I'll take to look at the weekend now I know what I'm looking for to solve the problem. That said the old unit took a hell of a pull to release; even with a pair of the official Porsche keys I needed to get hooks into their rings to be able to shift the unit without amputating my finger tips. Once it was out (undamaged) it looked like some excess tape adhesive or something had bonded the unit in place.

Nice solution from Porsche, haven't come across this before, that said last cars I replaced a head unit in were a 1996 Impreza Turbo and my step-daughter's 2000 SEAT 1.0 Arosa.... neither known for the even the perceived quality of their audio equipment. Then again the Porsche unit isn't exactly high end but the overall brand perception would make it a theft target I guess.

The head unit I put in is a Kenwood KDC BT720DAB. As RobertB says the colour match of the display is quite good, I'm still playing with the brightness and custom RGB settings to improve the colour 'look and feel' to make it even better.

If youve got thin fingures you can remove the wire by removing the side boomerang panel on the ns and pull off the spade connector and just tape it up. Thats if its the same as the 996 but pretty sire it will be. Had the same problem on mine and did it this way to save removing the head unit again.

My new head unit came with a short cage so I didn't need to remove any of the OE framework. There is a cable on a connect with a brow wire as noted above and there is also a square tab which is sprung towards the space the head unit occupies about 50mm back on the left hand side. I put a strip of insulation tape on this tab - case solved, no more toots.

My new head unit came with a short cage so I didn't need to remove any of the OE framework. There is a cable on a connect with a brow wire as noted above and there is also a square tab which is sprung towards the space the head unit occupies about 50mm back on the left hand side. I put a strip of insulation tape on this tab - case solved, no more toots.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back