Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Weaknesses of a 997 other than the engine....

JayG60

Silverstone
As I am currently in the process of starting an LS3 swap into my 997 3.8s ('Project half a cup" thread) which will eliminate all the weaknesses of the M97 engine. I also want to know what other aspects of the 997.1 people think could be improved,
One I will be addressing is cooling, so I will add a third rad and upgrade the other two, I will also be adding Porsche cup electric steering pump, adjustable bushes and some aero bits, as well.
Thoughts....

Cheers

Jay

Going off at a tangent on the coolant element has anybody ever used waterless coolant with its enhanced cooling properties? Which seems ideal on a 911 where cooling is clearly a big issue?

There are threads here somewhere. IIRC people recon it has issues. Hartech had interesting comments, try a search.

Interestingly magazines have fitted it but not provided long term assessments.

Oh and it's expensive, you need to factor in the flushing procedure....

From what I've read, the 3rd rad isn't really needed unless it running in a hot climate.
The cooling problem is caused by the thermostat being on the return line to the engine on the original M96/97 engines.
I for one cant understand the reason for it being fitted there at all.

Assuming the LS3 has the stat on the water pump side it shouldn't be an issue.

Not too sure about the hot climate, I have a MY02 996 3.6 Carrera 6Mt 80k Miles completely standard and I regularly drive it in the summer when temperatures reach 55c. No issues whatsoever.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back