Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smelly aircon

Poker2009

Guys

I would like to try this product on my car, as I have tried pretty much everything else to get rid of the bad smell from the aircon. I have used Wurth Aircon bomb (dozens of them), and have tried wurth disinfectant spray cleaner (although not sure if administered correctly). The last thing I tried was Normfest from eurocarparts, which was the worst product - has left a resdue all over the front dash, and smells like febreeze, and I am not sure whether the bad smell was worse or Normfest.

I am losing sleep over the problem, and the car will have to go if I can't resolve!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iD0L-eypG4

My question is, where is the "ventilation opening" in a 997 coupe? It seems unlike most other cars, the opening is in the front boot (under pollen filter).
This causes two problems, probably the cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter will not be long enough, and also if i have to administer the product from outside the car, most of the product will probably just be lost to the atmosphere.

I hope someone has used this product and can advise.

Thanks

You should set the system to recirculate and the system will be sealed from the outside meaning that you can administer from inside the cabin

So you mean not worry about trying to get the product directly into a vent opening?

Surely you want the product all through the system including the inlet duct. Assume you have replaced the system filter already.

As far as I am aware the inlet duct is in the front boot, not in the glove box like most cars. Perhaps this is the only way (to put recirc on).

Hi,

I had an odour problem with my last 2 cars, I suspect because they had been sitting for a long period (the 911 over the winter).

In the 911 the smell was not coming from the fabrics / carpets, but was only noticeable when I switched off the air-con and the air in the cabin smelt like an old drain. I replaced the pollen filter and used the Meguiars G16602EU Air-ReFresher (New car scent). Initially I thought it had not worked, but after a few long drives it remains odour free. This scent is very strong however and penetrates all the soft materials, it has a rather pungent chemical smell.

When I noticed the same problem in my BMW, I initially tried a Bilt Hamber odour bomb, but no luck. Then I thought I'd try the Meguiars again but a different scent this time and it worked again for me. In fact, I just spotted this offer and have bought this scent to use in the 911, as it is so cheap. Might be worth a punt if you haven't tried it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-ReFr...Care-Cleaning-Meguiars-G16602EU-/401625361077

One of the things I was advised to do is to put some of the air con cleaner into the pollen filter housing. When you change the pollen filter spray the product into the housing, you can do this without latching the spray open if your careful. Replace with a new pollen filter and use the cleaner with the air on on on full recirculation
Hope that helps

So I took the pollen filter out, and put two cans I had left of the Normfest (even though I cannot stand the smell - i need the frowsy smell to go) down there with aircon on, then turned the recirc button on for ten minutes.

Car now stinks of Normfest. Not sure if it has worked yet or not, as the Normfest is so strong.

I have ordered a few of those Meguiars air freshners, and a few Wurth bombs. If i still need the Wurth atomiser after all this, I will buy and try it. Having smelt the Normfest, I am going to stick with Wurth products from now on..

I garage my Porsche's and always leave a window fully down when they are in there and have never had any issues with odour other than the cars natural smell.
Hope your solution works out for you :thumb:

Thanks - hope so too..

The smell is just when the climate control is on, so doubt leaving windows open will help.

Car is almost 14 years old, so I guess an ageing aircon unit has something to do with it. Hope one of these products/solutions does the trick.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back