Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key/Remote issue

iceboy

Hi All,

Just got back from a work trip and with the blue skies and sunshine, I thought I'd take the Turbo S for a spin.

The car has been on a C-Tek charger for approx 2 weeks and I opened the door with the key as it usually goes to sleep.....anyway, when I went to start the car everything lit up as usual but when I went to crank, nothing. So I turn the key back to the first position and tried again and it started fine.

I have just got back from a beautiful drive through the Berkshire/Buckinghamshire boarders !!

I put the car in the garage and when I pressed the key fob nothing, I tried a few time but it was dead.

So I have locked the car with the car in the door.

Could this be a battery issue? Could the starting issue also be connected?

It is going to Nine Excellence next week but thought I would scrub up on my knowledge.

IceBoy :thumb:

Hi Iceboy, am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.....in the meantime, my thoughts....

The car going to sleep (not responding to the key) is standard, if its left to sit for a while (week or so)

If after failing to start, its then able to crank the engine to start the car, it doesn't sound like a battery issue (doubly so, as you are using a Ctek to keep it charged). As the second time you try there would be even less charge than the initial try.....

I don't think there is any connection between locking/unlocking the car and the ability to start the car. The starting issue sounds like an immobiliser issue. As I understand it, the unlocking/locking key fob function is actually unrelated to the immobiliser function (they are done by completely separate items, both within the key-fob.

Couple of things it could be ..

Having to try and start it twice could be ..

1/ Coincidence and a 1 off
2/ Faulty ignition lock
3/ Startermotor solinoid is starting to play up.

Fob not working ..

1/ Fob needs replaceing as its died
2/ Faulty ignition lock as it thinks the key is still inserted .. pretty dam rare though .

Door unlock is done by the fob transmiting a signal , car starting is done by a chip / pill in the fob that the ignition lock decoder reads so as king4 said .. 2 seperate systems.

Anyways .. 9 Exc certainly dont need any help from me !

Hi there I'm no mechanic but I had a similar experience with my Cayman last year.

No you may not have this on your car but it turned out to be a switch that when you dip the clutch it is supposed to trigger and let the car start.

Mine was not triggering all the time and I was felt pumping the clutch and trying again.

Just a suggestion:dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back