Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help!....PSM and ABS warning light

ggrantw

Car been parked up overnight and drove 100 metres from home when brakes locked up, steering went heavy and I came to a standstill as if I applied the brakes heavily. Both the PSM and ABS warning lights are on. Luckily I managed to get it back home with a struggle! Anybody got any ideas please? :?:

Thanks!

Is your steering heavy if you're not moving but engine running and you turn lock to lock?

No.steering is fine as had a new steering rack fitted about 18 months ago by JZM.

You have a fault with the monitoring system by the sounds of things. If any of the wheel sensors are giving incorrect readings then the system will actuate the "what it thinks" necessary measures, i.e. drop power, actuate brakes, etc.

Either get a Porsche tester plugged in or use some old school methodology to diagnose where the problem is.

Any suggestions as to what methodology :?:

Thanks..

If its driveable but applying brakes whilst you drive, pull over and have a feel of your discs to see which brakes or brake are being applied.

It's not driveable!....I struggled to get back the 150 metres home....it's at least the rear brakes!

A few questions ..

Have you had any work done on your car recently ?

Did you just drive on a straight road at normal speed or did you throw it into a round about or a corner which may have activated the PSM ?

Did you use the brakes whilst this happened ?

Did it feel to you as you struggled home that the brakes were binding or being applyed ?

reason for questions ..

I have once come across a problem with a C4 and ONLY a C4 with brakes locking on .. its as rare as hens teeth so i dont want to go into it atm untill i have a little more info as it will lead you up the garden path so to speak .

Im also thinking steering angle sensor calibration is out .. but you need to have had geo work done recently for it to be this ..

Yes I have when it was in storage...amongst other things, real wheel bearing and disc skimmed. I was only about 150 metres from home after reversing off the drive and heading in a straight line. I did not use the brakes ...it felt as though the brakes had been applied then remained on! The brakes appeared to be fully applied on the way home. The new steering rack was calibrated when fitted.

Steering rack was a long time ago so thats out .. you have had work done .. ie a wheel bearing so was this the first trip out after this work ?

Sounds like something is binding a wheel and not what i first thought .. you have to have PSM activated to cause this issue and thats a master cyl fault .

You need a fault code read out and jack up each wheel in turn to see which ones are binding.

No..have had the car back over six weeks ago with no issues at all. Had the master cylinder and brake pipes replaced earlier this year..

Have you tried pulling the ABS/PSM fuse out and seeing if it's driveable?

No!...is it ok to do that??

When I had a fault on mine the rear RH caliper kept braking causing problems driving it and a hot rear RH disc. Removing the fuse just disabled any ABS/PSM braking, thus making the car driveable until I had it fixed.

Ok...will try that today!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back