Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After Sales Service from an OPC

baldguy

I need advice please from you guys n gals....

I recently came back to Porsche after having three 911's in the past and bought a 2013 Cayenne Turbo from a OPC.
The sale went well and I collected the car on 18th October. The sales guy was on holiday from 22nd October for the week so I awaited his return as there is two items I'd like fixed/looked at.
I spoke to him on Monday 29th October and mentioned that since I collected the Cayenne the brakes were squealing badly and i wanted it rectified. there was no immediate "of course sir I can get that done"... what he said was "our 11 point check would have picked up any issues and have you tried braking hard a few times as the cars been sitting for a while" I'm far from stupid in the car world after 3 previous Porsches, 2 Lamborghinis, various Mercedes AMG models and Audi RS models to name a few so when he said that I quite frankly insulted and said similar words to him.
As I'm sure you're aware, brake squeal is from worn pads/discs or simply the brake pads need de-glazing and anti-squeal compound applied, probably the latter in this case.

I also mentioned that I'd of thought that any OPC used vehicle should of had the PCM maps upgraded to the latest maps prior to sale but my vehicle is still running 2013 maps, he mentioned there would be a charge for this to myself which I do not agree with and I'd like this upgraded.

I want these 2 simply items rectified at the OPC expense as I don't expect after spending allot of money for a low mileage vehicle this should be at my cost or any used vehicle after such a short time of ownership at an OPC.

I've requested help through Porsche UK after logging a similar email with this info this morning.... what are peoples thoughts on this?

baldguy said:
I need advice please from you guys n gals....

I recently came back to Porsche after having three 911's in the past and bought a 2013 Cayenne Turbo from a OPC.
The sale went well and I collected the car on 18th October. The sales guy was on holiday from 22nd October for the week so I awaited his return as there is two items I'd like fixed/looked at.
I spoke to him on Monday 29th October and mentioned that since I collected the Cayenne the brakes were squealing badly and i wanted it rectified. there was no immediate "of course sir I can get that done"... what he said was "our 11 point check would have picked up any issues and have you tried braking hard a few times as the cars been sitting for a while" I'm far from stupid in the car world after 3 previous Porsches, 2 Lamborghinis, various Mercedes AMG models and Audi RS models to name a few so when he said that I quite frankly insulted and said similar words to him.
As I'm sure you're aware, brake squeal is from worn pads/discs or simply the brake pads need de-glazing and anti-squeal compound applied, probably the latter in this case.

I also mentioned that I'd of thought that any OPC used vehicle should of had the PCM maps upgraded to the latest maps prior to sale but my vehicle is still running 2013 maps, he mentioned there would be a charge for this to myself which I do not agree with and I'd like this upgraded.

I want these 2 simply items rectified at the OPC expense as I don't expect after spending allot of money for a low mileage vehicle this should be at my cost or any used vehicle after such a short time of ownership at an OPC.

I've requested help through Porsche UK after logging a similar email with this info this morning.... what are peoples thoughts on this?

Your 100% correct on all points, the least that should be expected of an OPC :thumb:

Sounds like your salesman needs some customer service training - all salesman are different and it seems he's now focusing on closing the next sale and has forgotten you already.

When I bought mine the Nav upgrade was the only thing my car needed and I insisted it be done as part of the deal. As you didn't ask for it as part of the sale you're now effectively asking for it as goodwill, which they're not obliged to do. But given the minimal cost to them, why on earth wouldn't they just do it?!? I don't suppose it's checked as part of the 111 check so you could forgive them for not knowing it's an older version (although I'm sure I've seen OPC's listing cars boasting the latest nav upgrade).

If you have no joy with your salesman you could try escalating to the dealer principle.

With regards the brake squeal, Porsche seem to think it's a normal by-product of the braking process. They released a video earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNHb9O52WQ

Porsche seem to be burying their heads in the sand when people point out that other manufacturers manage silent braking. Even the fact that some squeal and some don't squeal doesn't seem to worry them. In many businesses such variations could highlight a (worrying) lack of consistency somewhere in the business, but I guess the approach here is that as long as they work then that's the main thing.

I don't think you'll get far with the brake squeal since Porsche see it as normal, but I would be persistent with the Nav upgrade. Good luck.

Porsche, along with all manufacturers will need to lift their game on the software side of things as cars become more software dependent. The ability to increase performance or efficiency will come via over the air updates as per Tesla's do currently.
I also had to pay to upgrade the maps but I refused to have a suction cup stuck to my windscreen. The cost of the map upgrade at the time was approximately the same as buying a third party job.
I think you might be coming up short in this instance for the software. The brake squeal even less so. Good luck though in trying to get it sorted.

I'd have been a bit miffed about the old software for the sat nav, but brake squeal is a bit trickier. They might take the car in, and (re)apply some anti-squeal compound, but I doubt they'd warrant it as a fix. Personally I don't mind a bit of brake squeal on what is already a noisy car, but I have compromised by fitting upgraded brakes and pads to my cars. On the other hand, I do understand that there are people who can't abide it for a moment.

The software issue us the norm ie they would not routinely update software on a used car.

Some as implied above do manaage to negotiate it as part of the deal but the implied "it doe not cost the dealer anything" is not true. It can be a time consuming job in the workshop which has to be logged / there is then more risk / liability re warranty if it goes wrong and the cost of the software which is a stock item so is not free.

Tech is changing all of the time and newer cars offer over the air auto updates etc.... but you bought a 2013 car ie running 3.1 PCM and its a porsche so not cutting edge lol.

Re the brakes, customer service has to be better but you have to remember that they deal with a wide range of customer, some of whom would complain that a crease in the leather has occured.

I'm just looking at this from a retail point of view and someone who has to deal with escalated customer complaints on a regular basis ;-)

Which OPC?

squelch said:
Porsche seem to be burying their heads in the sand when people point out that other manufacturers manage silent braking. Even the fact that some squeal and some don't squeal doesn't seem to worry them. In many businesses such variations could highlight a (worrying) lack of consistency somewhere in the business, but I guess the approach here is that as long as they work then that's the main thing.
My 997.2 and 991.1 C4S squealed like a London taxi, and now my 991.2 GT3 squeals like 10 London taxis. :nooo: :nooo:

On the 991 C4S, went through a number of dealer visits to resolve the squeal issue (including replacing parts at their cost). But in the end, no improvement was realised and the OPC resorted back to the clause in the owner's handbook that this is "normal" for high performance braking systems.

So I now accept the squeal for what it is - a characteristic of the system which Porsche engineers can't or won't be bothered to engineer out of the vehicle, leaving little scope for manoeuvre for the OPC to provide an effective service remedy. So I have a certain amount of sympathy with the OPC, but there is certainly no need for the OPC to handle any customer in an unprofessional manner when they bring forwards a legitimate complaint.

You quite right to be annoyed they are quite minor requests and I am shocked at the fact you didnt get an immediate YES sir .
Your correct to inform Porsche UK , I would also suggest calling the dealer principle and making him aware.
the 111 point check will only flag things that are failures or beyond a certain level but wont automatically put right as issue thats within tollarance but still causing an issue . the PCM upgrade wouldnt be part of the 111 point check but should be std practice for a dealership selling a car at OPC inflated prices. You must have got a 2 yr warranty buying from an OPC so throw it back to them for the noise to be sorted under warranty. the PCM upgrade it so simple and about 10 mins of a techs time I am stunned they just didnt say yes sorry it was an oversight. good luck keep us posted and remember re the brakes you can go to any OPC with a warranty issue :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
You quite right to be annoyed they are quite minor requests and I am shocked at the fact you didnt get an immediate YES sir .
Your correct to inform Porsche UK , I would also suggest calling the dealer principle and making him aware.
the 111 point check will only flag things that are failures or beyond a certain level but wont automatically put right as issue thats within tollarance but still causing an issue . the PCM upgrade wouldnt be part of the 111 point check but should be std practice for a dealership selling a car at OPC inflated prices. You must have got a 2 yr warranty buying from an OPC so throw it back to them for the noise to be sorted under warranty. the PCM upgrade it so simple and about 10 mins of a techs time I am stunned they just didnt say yes sorry it was an oversight. good luck keep us posted and remember re the brakes you can go to any OPC with a warranty issue :thumb:

I don't think that any braking issue would be covered by the warranty, if it concerns discs and pads as they are consumables.

If he's had the car two weeks, it's not really a warranty matter.

PCM updates are not routinely done as they tie up a ramp for hours and can be a pain to complete.

Magic919 said:

PCM updates are not routinely done as they tie up a ramp for hours and can be a pain to complete.

I agree, I was maybe not clear - its down to the OPC to sort - not a warranty issue.

Thanks all.. i appreciate everyones feedback, I decided to not go to the OPC Dealer Principal as the Salesman really pxssed me off tbh so I want his tap on the shoulder to be a surprise (if it happens)... The sales guy said he'd be talking with the DP anyway but we all know on here that never happened yesterday!

I'm so not normally like this but when you part with your hard earned I expect service especially from a premium brand OPC.
My 997 Turbo had PCCBs and also squealed, the Indie I got that from without hesitation paid for Reading OPC to de-glaze the pads but in the end we all know most ceramic Porsche brake systems squeal as a pre-req and they started again after 3 months.....

I await Porsche GB's answer as I've had an aknowledgment from them to say they're looking into it....

Windy101 said:
Magic919 said:

I agree, I was maybe not clear - its down to the OPC to sort - not a warranty issue.

Yes agreed in hindsight the warranty is not the right action, and as I also said involve the dealer prinsiple as well as Porsche GB this is surely a customer service issue thats quite easy and cheap for them to resolve. the PCM upgrade can take a while to do but the tech doesn't have to stand over it so shouldnt take much of their actual time. Was it one of the London OPCs cant remember which but one of them got a slating on here recently

Cayennes dont tend to suffer from brake squeel .. its not a common thing imho .. or if it is then i just done see them !

It would have been prudent for the OPC just to have booked the car in and check .. if deglazeing / paste required then its only an hour or two they would have to pay the workshop so peanuts from the proffit made.

yes sales / workshop and parts at any OPC are treated as seperate companys and each bills the other at full retail cost .

Navs are Never updated at an OPC .. reason is cost .. Porsche tend to charge rather a lot for a nav update code (all dealers have the discs but you need a code ) .. so if requested pre purchase they would have to factor that into the proffit margin ... Post and its usually a no im afraid .

From memory and i dont think there has been an update since 2016 so thats the latest one available .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back