Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

front dash speakers - left or right?

stefant

bit of a stupid question... I took out both my dash speakers today to replace the factory fitted ones with new Alpine using the fitting kit from JMG Porsche.

I noticed that each speaker it tilted and not flat - I am not sure if they should be tilted towards the inside of the car or the windscreen?

I have to think it should be titled towards the inside, but then had a second thought that maybe the sound bounces off the windscreen?

anyone help

thanks

I had the same issue fitting mine a couple of weeks ago, but if you play around with it a bit you'll work out there's really only one way it can all go back together. I'll be interested to hear if you can get the Alpines fitted back into the dash without having to snip off a couple of the mounting lugs.
On my car there was no way I could get the speaker lugs past the lugs in the dashtop that the grilles screw into. Snip off the two rear speaker lugs and they drop in a treat.
I spent a good hour fiddling around trying every possible orientation, but that's the only way I could get them to fit. Same with the rear speakers.
It's entirely possible I was being a numpty, and trimming the speakers was not something I liked having to do - it certainly doesn't mention it in the fitting instructions with the JMG kit.
For the money I really wasn't terribly impressed with the JMG kit, but without the time, materials and inclination to fabricate something myself, they do the job....... I guess that's what they're relying on !

ha to cut off the two rear lugs from the speaker. This was a bit disappointing as though the kit was a simple plug and play - If I have known I was going to need to Dremel off bits I would have just used the you tube instructions and fabricated my own!

Anyway the speakers are amazing and the whole sound in the car has improved - very impressed.

Glad it wasn't just me then ! A bit disappointing to have to hack things around, especially when it is advertised as plug'n'play. I sourced my speakers on eBay so saved £50 on the overall package from JMG, so didn't feel too bad about trimming what were pretty cheap speakers.
With a bit of time and patience this would not be a difficult DIY job that could be done for comfortably less than £100 for all 4 speakers and materials....

Had to trim a few of the tabs off mine, but easy enough - I just snapped them off with some pliers.

Worth it for the significant improvement in sound quality with the new speakers fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back