Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 23
997 : 2004- 84
996 : 1997-2005 46
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 17
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Do you have any wind noise at 60+ MPH?
None at all
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Some from the centre left bottom
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Some from the bottom (all / or somewhere)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Message
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Windscreen/Wiper wind noise? - Do you have any? Reply with quote

In my continuing confusion having bought a 911 a few weeks ago, I still can't work out whether the noise I hear is normal or not.

Basically at 60+ MPH, I seem to getting some noise from the centre/left of the windscreen, it sounds like its coming from near the bottom almost like static from the speakers or some erroneous air coming through the demister vents.

I just tried masking off the passenger side of the screen and it made no difference, and I am wondering if 911's just make more noise that average at speed and perhaps its just air hitting the wiper blades?

Or it could be the windscreen but for it to be coming from the bottom and with a tightly fitted scuttle panel...it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway your input on the noise would be great, or other suggestions to try.
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
pzero
General
General


Joined: 18 Jul 2010
Posts: 4910
Location: London


PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A less than satisfactory fit to a replacement windscreen?

I don't know if that's what is causing the noise in your car but I have experienced noise coming from the windscreen edge when going over certain speeds, and that followed a windscreen replacement. After a refit the noise disappeared.
_________________
991.1 Carrera GTS
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5342
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but remove the inside cover for the wing mirror and make sure the wiring plug doesnt have any gaps around it that could let air through .. wind noise .

Cover pulls out at the base BUT lifts upwards at the top.
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pzero wrote:
A less than satisfactory fit to a replacement windscreen?

I don't know if that's what is causing the noise in your car but I have experienced noise coming from the windscreen edge when going over certain speeds, and that followed a windscreen replacement. After a refit the noise disappeared.


Thats the odd thing with mine, it doesnt seem to be from the top or edge and I taped off the passenger side windscreen with masking tape including the top to reduce wind entry but with no impact, it seems to be from the lower part of the windscreen near the vents or opposite side of the wiper blades....which is raising my suspicion that it may not be the windscreen refit. Also with nothing to reference I may be in overthinking mode Wink
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Just a thought but remove the inside cover for the wing mirror and make sure the wiring plug doesnt have any gaps around it that could let air through .. wind noise .

Cover pulls out at the base BUT lifts upwards at the top.


Thanks I will check this thumbsup, as it does sound like any windnoise from the from the areas I mentioned at national speeds is unusual.

This is how the car looked just before hitting the motorway earlier Grin
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 



20181028_161538.jpg
 Description:
Masking adventures
 Filesize:  1.21 MB
 Viewed:  870 Time(s)

20181028_161538.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Magic919
Imola


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 869
Location: Berkshire


PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the non-standard wipers.
_________________
997.2 C2S PDK
997.2 C4S PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic919 wrote:
Might be the non-standard wipers.


I swamped them back to standard old style ones, no difference Sad
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise a good point though, my passenger wiper looks too low based upon some low res pictures I can see elsewhere.

Could someone take a photo of their wiper position, I think it should be slightly higher and above the black tint.... a bit more like this (the position towards left of picture as thats a LHD) https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/porsche%20wiper%20cowel%20cowl%20panel%20wiper%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20997%20987.jpg
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 14429
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but make sure your scuttle if fitted tight , they do sometimes warp in the heat and that may be causing some air turbulance that you can hear. also try opening and closing the air recirculation button see it that makes any difference. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 14429
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v6matt wrote:
You raise a good point though, my passenger wiper looks too low based upon some low res pictures I can see elsewhere.

Could someone take a photo of their wiper position, I think it should be slightly higher and above the black tint.... a bit more like this (the position towards left of picture as thats a LHD) https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/porsche%20wiper%20cowel%20cowl%20panel%20wiper%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20997%20987.jpg


check the size wipers you have as so many people fit both the same size as its cheaper as a pack of two but one is an inch longer than the other and as you say should not be in contact with the scuttle lip and as the pic more inlinewith the black screen border
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5342
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put masking tape in the shown areas .. if you have the noise after this then its not wind noise .
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !
 



20181028_161538_134.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  798 Time(s)

20181028_161538_134.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
v6matt wrote:
You raise a good point though, my passenger wiper looks too low based upon some low res pictures I can see elsewhere.

Could someone take a photo of their wiper position, I think it should be slightly higher and above the black tint.... a bit more like this (the position towards left of picture as thats a LHD) https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/graphics/00000002/porsche%20wiper%20cowel%20cowl%20panel%20wiper%20boxster%20cayman%20carrera%20911%20997%20987.jpg


check the size wipers you have as so many people fit both the same size as its cheaper as a pack of two but one is an inch longer than the other and as you say should not be in contact with the scuttle lip and as the pic more inlinewith the black screen border


Thanks, they are definitely different. 22 and 21 if I remember rightly. I have also already checked the scuttle panel and its on solid with good rubber contact at the top.
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Put masking tape in the shown areas .. if you have the noise after this then its not wind noise .


Thanks, I will do that on my next motorway run between junctions/service stations.

I specifically went on the hunt for a 70 zone today and took me over an hour return Grin, good excuse to play but not for every test.

I also have an air bed pump which I will use to blow around all the crevices and see if I can re-create it. Damn niggly things.
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
Just a thought but remove the inside cover for the wing mirror and make sure the wiring plug doesnt have any gaps around it that could let air through .. wind noise .

Cover pulls out at the base BUT lifts upwards at the top.


I did this quickly this morning before leaving for work.

The only thing I noticed was a slight lip at the very top. Does this look unusual i.e should seal/cover it?

Also interestingly, it looks like someone has exactly the same symptoms http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=619161 I have messaged them to see if they found a cure.

Also back near the car again, I also noticed using that threads idea about water on a seal. The top of the passenger window did have a weaker seal than the drivers side, so my wifes hair band is doing stirling work of sitting in there to push out the seal. Will see if this helps as well.

Also noticed the seal around the boot area was 'open' on the drivers side, so will check this when home as I suspect one of the plastic supports has gone walkabout and is not proping up the frunk trim into the rubber.

My theory here is that wind is entering here...creating noise somewhere further down and this is audible via the pollen filter opening and hence why I keep thinking its 'excess noise through the passenger top dash vent'
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 



20181029_114615.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  716 Time(s)

20181029_114615.jpg



20181029_114308.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.65 KB
 Viewed:  716 Time(s)

20181029_114308.jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5342
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory they should have tape around the wiring plug .. use a bit of gaffer tape please to make a seal around that plug and out to the bodywork just in case .. 5 mins and a pair of scissors Smile

EDIT ..

If you press the recirc button it closes the flap in the pollen filter houseing there by eliminateing and air going through there .
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
From memory they should have tape around the wiring plug .. use a bit of gaffer tape please to make a seal around that plug and out to the bodywork just in case .. 5 mins and a pair of scissors Smile

EDIT ..

If you press the recirc button it closes the flap in the pollen filter houseing there by eliminateing and air going through there .


Worth a go!, I did put some masking tape around that gap but can't hurt to go around it some more. It could be the ones you have seen/done have been taped to prevent the noise as it seems they normally come without.

Also I checked the frunk plastics this evening, turns out I am missing the very top left hand screw fixing bracket which is why the trim was sinking. That and a new screw on the way from Porsche for the grand total of £3.50 delivered !

Re: Recirc - Damn I think I have already tried that, worth another go!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/cimg/www.rennlist.com/470x469_85/381/step1b-2-1--62381.jpg

If all else fails, then its back to the windscreen.
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
deMort
Zolder


Joined: 21 Mar 2015
Posts: 5342
Location: Brighton


PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing the right thing .. i also mask trims with tape to try and find a wind noise .. if its all masked and there is still a noise then its not wind !

I am wondering .. on 996 we used to fit tape under the screen rubber to stop creaks .. maybe Dont know

Not seen that on a 997 though .

What you need to do .. which obviously you cant as your too far away but is come grab me in Brighton so i can have a listen Very Happy

Why is it almost every person here lives so far away from me .. sigh.

I need to move further North i feel .. which as the wife wont follow might be a good thing Very Happy
_________________
Mechanic

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deMort wrote:
You are doing the right thing .. i also mask trims with tape to try and find a wind noise .. if its all masked and there is still a noise then its not wind !

I am wondering .. on 996 we used to fit tape under the screen rubber to stop creaks .. maybe Dont know

Not seen that on a 997 though .

What you need to do .. which obviously you cant as your too far away but is come grab me in Brighton so i can have a listen Very Happy

Why is it almost every person here lives so far away from me .. sigh.

I need to move further North i feel .. which as the wife wont follow might be a good thing Very Happy


Thanks deMort!

You have been VERY helpful, I would absolutely drop in if local.

I will probably have to take it back to the specialist I had it serviced at, when I head back that way/nearby if I don't have any joy with it.

However I suspect Sunday is the day to test it, as I am finally heading onto a motorway then. Not sure what the wife will thing of a masked off 911 ! Mr. Green
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Robertb
Long Beach


Joined: 01 Sep 2003
Posts: 6644
Location: South Oxfordshire

2002 Porsche 996 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the screen and surround for any objects... I had a strange wind noise from our Audi A8 which was driving me mad. In the end I spotted a tiny insect wing that was embedded in the surround rubber. Pulled it out and all was quiet! Just as you describe though, a static-y sort of noise.
_________________
"911- the guilt-free supercar"

Current: 2003 C4S Coupe, seal/black

Ex: '02 C4S Coupe, '96 993 Targa, '88 Carrera Sport Coupe
 
  
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
   
v6matt
Newbie


Joined: 10 Oct 2018
Posts: 43



PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robertb wrote:
Have you checked the screen and surround for any objects... I had a strange wind noise from our Audi A8 which was driving me mad. In the end I spotted a tiny insect wing that was embedded in the surround rubber. Pulled it out and all was quiet! Just as you describe though, a static-y sort of noise.


I have, nothing visible Sad
_________________
2008 Carrera 4 - Gen 1 997
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum