Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GTS

Lenny39

Howdy, I'm a newbie to this forum and current Lotus Exige V6 owner considering a change to something a bit more useable and less hardcore. So a quick question because I'm considering a 997.2s or 997 GTS both around 2010/11 plates. Is the GTS really worth the extra circa £20k? It seems a lot to me but I would welcome some sage like advise from the pros!!!

To me it just depends on if you can afford to tie up the extra capital or the extra financing.

The total cost of ownership if less to me (in principle) as depreciation or appreciation will always be less / greater in a GTS. As that is a big part of the total cost of ownership usually then it can be argued that a GTS will always be cheaper to own.

That's if you look at it in terms of pure maths. You then have to factor in that the 997 GTS is > than the sum of its parts over a none GTS ie you simply can;t make a none GTS into a GTS and if you get an S with 'near" GTS spec then the gap in pricing is always much less in any case.

To me the answer is yes but whether that's the same answer for you only you can answer. I will say that comparing a more base spec 997 to a GTS makes more sense to me when there really is a different vehicle to compare but that's before you start factoring in mileage differences, condition etc..... lol Welcome to the world of Porsche ;-)

I would say that the GTS is an overall 'ideal' package, but understand your questioning.

As above, depends on your financial position really. Then how many miles you plan to do, etc.

If entering 911 ownership, I would seek out a GTS with reasonable mileage and good history and hopefully a smaller delta.

Good luck and keep us informed :thumb:

OP,
I had this same dilemma twelve months ago, and went for a C4S instead :thumb:
Which I just sold as I still want the GTS, the yearning didnt go away :nooo:
Anyone who owns one will tell you its not just the extra BHP, but the way its delivered. GTS!!!
Personally (IMHO) it should also have the centre locks, Sport design wheel presuming PDK, and definitely the Alcantara, and of course it should be white?

Edit. Ignore Jontts advice to buy a Boxster GTS :grin:

Lenny,
I'd say not, there isn't really a bad spec out there. Although Sport Chrono, PDK, leather dash, sport design wheel with paddles are not standard. The centre locks and alcantara are, but some were ordered with Alcantara delete and 5 stud wheels.
For me the only thing to really avoid would be the plastic dash, obviously the manual cars now demand a heavy premium over PDK. I can't remember seeing one without Sport Chrono.
Your biggest problem is finding a reasonably priced one, low milers are mega bucks, and the markets awash with cabs, personally I'd go mid miles, and wait a few months as the market is going to become better for buyers.
Most garages are full of over priced stock, some have been there close to years rather than months, (hexy) for example.

I think the Sport Design wheel with paddles was standard, but some opted for the MF wheel option.

It says a lot for the way a GTS is respected amongst enthusiasts when you consider that the number of £££s extra you'll need to pay for a used example is actually more than the £££s extra they cost new.

It's not a premium I'd personally be prepared to pay but I acknowledge that it is generally recognised as the ultimate incarnation of the 997 Carrera - bar the 'Sport Classic' of course.

Alternative to justifying the difference (other than a 997.2 C2S), is to go the other way and consider a 991.1 GTS (last of the NA), which are now sitting at early £80k.... if you can get your head around the size, interior, etc.

I drove a few at Silverstone and they were all fab - but I still think the 997 shape remains the most classic looking/optimum 911, IMO.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for the feedback, I don't wish to upset any 991 owners but coming from an Exige V6 the electric steering wasn't for me.Also it feels so big.

Or buy yourself a decent low mileage 997.1 Turbo which in my opinion a better car than the GTS (although slightly chalk and cheese granted!), and save yourself a load of dough.
Low mileage manual GTS are £65-75k, a good manual sub 40k miles 997T can be had for £60k....no brainier.

Lenny39 said:
Thanks for the feedback, I don't wish to upset any 991 owners but coming from an Exige V6 the electric steering wasn't for me.Also it feels so big.

The 991 GTS is a brilliant Car.

Spend the day a few weeks ago driving the 991,2 GTS 2WD & AWD and they were both fantastic. Big step up from the 997 GTS in both Performance, Road holding and dare I say comfort.

It is an absolutely awesome car, couldn't fault the steering either.

Also probably faster than the 997.1 turbo and the launch control just made me giggle all day long.

BChivs said:
Or buy yourself a decent low mileage 997.1 Turbo which in my opinion a better car than the GTS (although slightly chalk and cheese granted!), and save yourself a load of dough.
Low mileage manual GTS are £65-75k, a good manual sub 40k miles 997T can be had for £60k....no brainier.

Totally agree 👍

jonttt said:
The total cost of ownership if less to me (in principle) as depreciation or appreciation will always be less / greater in a GTS. As that is a big part of the total cost of ownership usually then it can be argued that a GTS will always be cheaper to own.
Based on depreciation curves in the past, yes. Going forward, I wouldn't be so sure. Prices are definitely softening for all cars and the ones which carry a premium have the furthest to fall...

Personally I wouldn't stump up an extra £20-25k to change into a GTS, as nice as they are. £10k sure, I'd make the trade tomorrow :D

There's also a problem of finding one with the right spec - coupe, centre locks and alcantara interior are must haves IMO and a surprisingly small percentage of cars have them.

Lenny39 said:
I'm assuming the GTS is spec sensitive??

They are

Manual Box makes biggest difference (if nit fitted with Shirt Shift Kit get it retrofitted)

Bucket Seats are also very sort after.

Must have Alcantara interior and the CL and both impact price

Leather Dash, Sport Chrono, Bose, Sat Nat (even though it's shhi) , Universal Audio Interface (so you can Bluetooth music from an iPhone) are all very popular and will make the car easier to sell.

Rare option is the Sport Chassis with LSD and slightly lowered suspension.

JZM have got a Manual car with Bucket Seats and what looks like a very comprehensive spec for £60k. High mileage car but it's a good buy I think with that spec.

I've had a Manula GTS for nearly three years now and absolutely love it. The manual box mated with that Powerkit engine is a really nice combination. I think the PDK will really start to date as it's already noticeably slower than the 991 PDK Box which is itself about to be updated in three 992.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back