Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC Oil

RossJ

Hey All,

Newbie to the forum and hoping for a little guidance if possible.

I've been having the issue described in the following thread with my 06 plate C4S, which has the official Porsche warranty:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...valve-lifters-knocking-after-run-session.html

I've asked my nearest OPC if they can change the oil to 5W50 as per a recommendation in the thread, but they're saying that official Porsche guidance is to use 0W40, thus they won't use anything else. I've told them that the manual states that 0W40, 5W40 or 5W50 can be used for temperatures above -25oC, but they're unmoved.

Given the car is covered by official Porsche warranty, I don't want to threaten that by using non approved oil, so not entirely sure how to proceed. Kind of want to do something as worried the knocking could cause future issues that appear when the warranty ends.

Anyone had any similar challenges or can see/knows something that I'm entirely missing?

Cheers!

Can you just clarifie the problem you have .. smoke or tappet noise .. which if only from cold and soon dissapears is pretty normal .

Porsche will use only 0/40 mobil 1 reguardless of the milage .. i know that as i worked there for 10 years .

What Porsche will never know is the actuall oil grade if you use it out side of them .

When an engine lets go for what ever reason we dont test the oil to see if its the wrong grade :)

If possible a video of the noise will help a lot .. people normally post it on a youtube account but if you dont have one then send it to me and ill post it for everyone .

[email protected]

Hi DeMort,

Good to know Porsche don't go to excessive lengths to get out of potential warranty claims :)

The noise is a knocking/tapping noise (hard to tell which as it's somewhat subjective) that appears after a run at 3,500 rpm+ and only appears at idle post the run. I only ever press on once the engine is fully warmed up. The noise will go away after a few minutes (max 5) or if I rev it out a bit when in park/neutral. I think the noise eminates from the right hand lower side of the engine as you look at the car from the rear, but the sound seems to travel a bit as I move around the car. No smoke at any time.

I bought the car from RSJ about 18 months ago and during their warranty period they replaced the tappets on one side (left I believe) and did a borescope check as part of the diagnosis that lead to the eventual tappet replacement.

The only thing I have noticed is that sports exhaust tips on the same side as the noise seems to come from both have gas coming from them even when the PSE is turned off. The left hand side only has gas coming from one tip. I'm not sure if the exhaust is a left to right and right to left set up from the engine though, so perhaps a red herring?

I don't have a YouTube account, so appreciate the offer of sending you a video. Will send across.

Cheers, Ross

The video you posted was the left side .. link here for everyone ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPVMA4d5wrw

Sounds to me like light tappet noise when the engine is hot .. if its louder on the other side then send me another video please and ill post it :)

If you have the OPC warranty then tell them the car is making an unusual noise and leave the ball in their court.

Re your question about the PSE, the outer pipe only should be working with PSE off.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back