Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 91
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 8
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:
I occasionally thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I have the time, faclities and tools so why not?
I've been working on engines and gearboxes for 50 yrs. but nothing as advanced or as complex. I admire Trev's youth and comittment an amazing job. Jackal was my inspiration to get hands on and his site is amazingly useful.
One of the few remaing classics that is not beyond some diy. It is not easy and puts into focus the charges of some indies.
Like someone once said "What did you think was cheap about Porches?"

Good work John, that ramp helps enormously. it can be daunting but keep going, keep things organised and keep having breaks. It's amazing how a bit of thinking time away from it can help when you return to a problem.

I'm just installing RS shifter and Goldenrod, then rebuilding the doors.

Trev

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS shifter and Goldenrod was one on the best mods I did. Thanks for support Trev. Latest problem is removing the crank pully I can't find the locking tool in the UK and carriage fron the USA is horrendous. I believe an impact gun is a very bad idea. Next thing to try is a heavy duty strap wrench or I may get one made.

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:
The RS shifter and Goldenrod was one on the best mods I did. Thanks for support Trev. Latest problem is removing the crank pully I can't find the locking tool in the UK and carriage fron the USA is horrendous. I believe an impact gun is a very bad idea. Next thing to try is a heavy duty strap wrench or I may get one made.

I can understand the advice for not tightening up using an air gun/impact drive but undoing??, would of thought possibly the best method.

Have you got your box split from engine?, if you have then you can secure the crank at the clutch end using clutch bolts and a brace bar.

Trev

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently use of an air gun has the potential to shift the cam timing on later 993s which have a friction lock on the timing gear, mine is an early one and has the 964 type peg lock but the chains don't like it either. I've found a source for the correct tool at reasonable carriage cost.
I'm begining to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, but evidently you can twist the crank if you lock the flywheel, that pulley nut is bloody tight. Bentley book says 173 ft-lb but that's wrong it's the 964 figure, 993 is 125 ft-lb + red loctite.
I removed the steering pump cover to find the belt well cracked, I'll be pulling the gearbox soon tranny lift arriving tomorrow . Soon I will have more kit than the OPC, they have already asked to borrow a special tool for 944 rear suspension Smile
Had a bizzare incident at work today. Pt. arrived with 2 broken front teeth ( no pain it was a denture)
He was a local farmer adjusting a sheep fence when he slipped and got tangled in the fence, upside down with bolt cutters to hand he proceeded to cut himself free, disturbed a wasps' nest and while being stung dropped the cutter on his front teeth. If your having a bad day this would be it.

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:

Had a bizzare incident at work today. Pt. arrived with 2 broken front teeth ( no pain it was a denture)
He was a local farmer adjusting a sheep fence when he slipped and got tangled in the fence, upside down with bolt cutters to hand he proceeded to cut himself free, disturbed a wasps' nest and while being stung dropped the cutter on his front teeth. If your having a bad day this would be it.

Couldn't make it up could you Grin Grin Grin

Being a Northerner, he'd have been back in the field this afternoon.

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gearbox split off and power steering belt removed. No leaks from RMS or PS pump but casing will get a good clean. can't understand why people want to take the lower pulley off the upper is very easy or even pulling the pump itself out.

Split.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.1 KB
 Viewed:  1036 Time(s)

Split.JPG

PS .JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.21 KB
 Viewed:  1036 Time(s)

PS .JPG

Jack D
Monza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following this thread with interest to see how you’re getting on, what’s your plans now the engines out? Are you stripping the engine totally down or in-depth maintenance work ?
I had my engine taken out about 8-9yrs ago to have an oil leak sorted out, so much extra was done at the time, but well worth it.

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not stripping the engine as it was running well, no smoke and good oil pressure. Quite a few oil leaks to sort out and a lot of muck to clean off. PS belt and dizzy belt will be changed. Tbh it gets me away from shopping. If I hadn't acquired the new garage and lift I wouldn't have started. I'm semi-retired so plenty of time and I was one of those kids who took his toys apart to see how it worked.
If the engine ever needs to be dropped again then I'll have made it a lot easier. I've found several poor practice jobs done by indies and even OPC who when fitting a new crank sensor cut the plug retaining bracket rather than undo a 10mm nut.
The only work done I cannot fault was done by Ninemeister who fitted the LWF, RS shortshift and Goldenrod.
I've found undertorqued, overtightened, no antisieze and the occasional bit of rubber glove.
I was lucky to find the correct clutch hardline at Jasmine, it's difficult to read the PET. 964 423 110 00 is the one for my 94 car and it was seized solid, it needs to be moved to drop the gearbox.

Last edited by Endoman on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Butchered.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.78 KB
 Viewed:  869 Time(s)

Butchered.jpg

Gaity
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:

I made my own locking tool for this job, which you're welcome to borrow if you still need one.

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaity wrote:
Endoman wrote:

I made my own locking tool for this job, which you're welcome to borrow if you still need one.

Many thanks for your offer, unfortunately I ordered one from the States.
When I raced my MG, Horwich had a fantastic college where you could weld, machine anything. I was able to make several special tools and even skim my cylinder head. Bolton in their wisdom spent 1.6 million refurbishing it , then knocked it down 6 months later for housing.

Jet Jock
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work again. I wish I knew about PB Blaster when i was doing my refresh. Would have saved me a lot of pain. Sad
993 C2, RSR's, Cargraphic 100 Cell Cat, Turbo Twist Hollows, Brembo Big Reds Turbo Brakes, Big Ovals, Wayne Schofield Remap, KW Supersport set up by Chris Franklin, RS engine and transmission mounts, Fabspeed induction kit, HID conversion...

AndyS
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endoman wrote:
If I hadn't acquired the new garage and lift I wouldn't have started. I'm semi-retired so plenty of time and I was one of those kids who took his toys apart to see how it worked.

I like that approach. I'm knocking on the door of semi-retirement now, and need somewhere to tinker....
Although I can use my garage, there is nowhere near enough room to start big jobs like this - I can't even open the doors fully!

Was the large garage part of a house move - or is it a rental?

I've tried all sorts to try and find something long term in the same area (buy or rent) but can't find anything Dont know

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We acquired the house and garage due to a family bereavement. It's an old farm and needed a lot of remedial work and modernisation. It was a toss up whether to move or sell. I didn't need any persuasion to move as it has a 4 car garage , workshop and a massive cellar.
We are still not in the house but the garage has been rewired, junk cleared out and lift installed. You can see where my priorities lie. Smile
I'm in the process of putting some insulation in as well as working on the car.
The house should be ready in the new year, new kitchen, 2 new bathrooms, downstairs toilet and utility room, well you have to keep her sweet.
It feels a bit like one of Keith McCloud's projects.
My old garage was a small single and all work had to done on the drive so this is diy heaven.
My mate Dave only has a small single garage but he's dropped the engine in there. His car is immaculate. Bolton OPC had it in the showroom a few months with his baby 1/6 scale 911.

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying out various methods of cleaning the gearbox casing. It was incredably filthy. So far Gunk followed by Aliclean is showing the best results, soda blasting did nothing (perhaps my compressor is not man enough.) I've found a mobile magic welder to sort my chassis leg corrosion. Recommended by a friend who is restoring a Healey 3000.
I've tried a vibratory tumble cleaner on odd bits, niente. I will try a different media, cat litter is useless.
My cat to exhaust header bolts were fully siezed after 6 months (supplied by Fabspeed). So I'm going for stainless bolts with antisieze nuts from Heritage, time will tell. I've found no definative solution to that problem.
Engine tin is off for powder coating and I'm collecting bits for plating.
Next step is remove plugs and endoscope the bores.
Many moons ago an orthopeodic registrar friend brought his endoscope round (normally used for knees) to look inside my MGA Twin Cam engine he also took it to Aston Martin. I wonder if any patients ever realised it's provenance.

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work John progressing nicely, I spent a couple of months at the end of last year cleaning my engine which was also thick with gunk, I used Jizer in a spray bottle for the most part to clean it off.

Here's what I attacked:

Ended up with:

It really does take time, replaced all the rubber components I could including the oil bridge seal, but I'm under no illusion that I've got all leaks until I go for a full rebuild in the future.

I had a leak from my bottom most Varioram actuator on the inlet, the one that sits at the bottom, changed a few seals in there too, not an issue for you I know Smile.

Problem with the gearbox case is they're usually full of cosmoline, not sure if you're looking to remove that?, but it can be a pain for sure. Generally needs a good scraping, my box needed a new bell housing casing so looked good, the other two sections were just jet washed at Unit 11 when they rebuilt it. I'm guessing you have a G50/21?

I fitted the goldenrod and it now feels good from within the car and I can seemingly get all gears.

So what's the deal John if you find bore wear are you going for full rebuild?,

Trev

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to fit 3.8 P&Cs but I don't think it will be neccessary yet.
Front pulley if off so that expensive tool will probably never be used again.
Front oil seal is weeping so that's a must.
The welder arrived this evening and he will do the job in situ.
He wants me to drop the rear subframes to give a bit more room.
I bought a vibratory tumbler and it's doing well cleaning up the bolts and washers before plating. Plastic media and liquid from Frost.
There was a lot of crud behind the pulley, very litle cosmoline left on gearbox it was mainly oil sludge and oxidation.
Bad leak from rear cam housing lid new o-ring required. #8 and 9 on the PET
Not sure what it's funtion is, it's only on one side but needs to be removed to get the rear engine tin off.

Rear cam cover.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.26 KB
 Viewed:  440 Time(s)

Rear cam cover.jpg

Gearbox.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  108.69 KB

Gearbox.jpg

Front crank seal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.19 KB

Front crank seal.jpg

Oxidised bell housing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.16 KB

Oxidised bell housing.jpg

can+cover1214512253.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.21 KB
 Viewed:  481 Time(s)

can+cover1214512253.jpg

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New cam lid fitted and coated with ACF50 as recommended. I used some Molycote on the seal and flange. Didn't bother drilling out the fractured bolt as I found a nice one in the States with a design change and a new Norma stainless P-clip.
I removed the inlet manifold to get at the resonance flap seal.
I should have left changeing the plug leads til now would have been much easier.

Plug leads.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.49 KB
 Viewed:  368 Time(s)

Plug leads.jpg

Resonance flap seal.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.62 KB

Resonance flap seal.JPG

Cam lids.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.17 KB

Cam lids.JPG

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I dropped the oil I found a small (2mm) sharp flattened piece of steel attached to the magnet. I opened up the oil filters which were clear. The large filter had fallen apart internally which I thought would have caused the horrible noises at startup, a bit more than the usual gurgling, they disappeared after a few minutes.
The safety oil pressure relief valve has an obvious leak so today I pulled the spring out and found the source of the metal fragment (I hope) the end oil the sping was missing a small fragment which matched up perfectly with the metal shard. The spring also measures 67mm, should be 70mm. So it's a bit tired as well. Only £3 plus a new washer. It only operates when the oil is cold and thick (10/40) but in my case probably blowing off a bit early.

Cameltoe & Heel
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super work here, I'm guessing she will be laid up for winter?.

Trev

Endoman
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes quite a few jobs to do yet but reassembly has started. All the parts I need are here or on order. I will put the engine and gearbox back in less manifolds and then the suspension components. I'm still waiting for the mobile welder to sort out the chassis. A lot of cleaning, checking and protection to do.

IMG_0555[1].jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.22 KB
 Viewed:  226 Time(s)

IMG_0555[1].jpg

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: