Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air-Con purple o-ring lube?

steve r

Spa-Francorchamps
Hi,

Does anyone know the correct lube to use on the purple o-rings in the air-con system? I believe they are made from Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (HNBR)

Thanks

Steve

I use the same type for all my O rings when assembling for the engine and AC pipes, I'm not sure if it's the correct type of lube for the AC rings but it is a protection lube to protect against oil and other corrosive chemicals and stops the O ring degrading, it also helps assembly. Its O Ring Silicone Grease and a little goes a long way.

When i changed the A/C condensers on my car, my indy gave me a small amount of Aircon system oil to put on the seals so that i didn't install them dry...... he's a top bloke like that -plus he knew that as the guy regassing it, it would reduce the chance of leaks from a a damaged seal!

Toohey

At work i just use some of the a/c oil .. Pag 45 i belive .. there is a special oil you can use but for me all i need is lub so it doesnt catch when installing.

The seals are designed to swell up with a/c oil so you lub and fit .. thats also why its best not to reuse old seals.

green or purple .. its all the same.

Thanks, I've ordered some PAG 46.

The joint forward of the rear right wheel was leaking. There was corrosion in the aluminium fitting which I think was pushing the fitting open a little. All cleaned up so hopefully will seat correctly and not leak.

steve r said:
Thanks, I've ordered some PAG 46.

The joint forward of the rear right wheel was leaking. There was corrosion in the aluminium fitting which I think was pushing the fitting open a little. All cleaned up so hopefully will seat correctly and not leak.

I had this on my 996 C2. One of the bolts was an absolute pain to remove. Cleaned up, new o-rings and bolted back together. Still got ice-cold air con 2 years later.

MC

deMort said:
As long as there is no corrosion where the seal sits then it will be fine .

Yep, the area where the seal sits looked fine.

MisterCorn said:
I had this on my 996 C2. One of the bolts was an absolute pain to remove. Cleaned up, new o-rings and bolted back together. Still got ice-cold air con 2 years later.

MC

Good to know, thanks. Mine was leaking from the larger pipe, the bolt for the smaller pipe looked very hard to get onto due to its proximity to the body so I left that one alone.

Anyone know the sizes of the O-Rings? I bought mine from Porsche which wasn't cheap but whilst searching for o-ring lube found selection boxes of the purple & green ones for less money......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back