Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel Filter -------------

-- 997 --

Hope this aint gonna be a stupid question, but all the cars ive had in the past had fuel filters which i change when it comes to a maintenance service etc.. ok so my question is, is there a fuel filter in the 997? If so where would it be and how often does that need to be changed?

Cheers

J

I thought some of the GT cars had them too, 997.1 GT3 and RS and the GT2 and GT2 RS.

deMort said:
Only the 997 Turbo has a fuel filter .

Thanks for your reply on this, so how does the fueling system work then? There must be some sort of filter mesh in its place? Cos the petrol tank must accumilate crap from petrol to the injectors etc?

Cheers

J

Its a returnless system .. fuel doesnt go back to the tank .. the pump has a mesh filter at its base.

My best guess .. fuel is better these days , less contaminants and so it isnt needed .

But i just fix these so am by far no expert in design :oops:

EDIT for image and this is USA spec so not our market but its all i could find .

Attachments

• tank_1_115.jpg
    tank_1_115.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 2,297
deMort said:
Its a returnless system .. fuel doesnt go back to the tank .. the pump has a mesh filter at its base.

My best guess .. fuel is better these days , less contaminants and so it isnt needed .

But i just fix these so am by far no expert in design :oops:

EDIT for image and this is USA spec so not our market but its all i could find .

Cheers :thumb: thats interesting!!!

J

While we are on odd questions about fuel I thought I might as well post one that's bugging me.

Is / should there be somewhere to hang the fuel cap whilst fuelling? Mine has a long rubber "string" and i don't really fancy leaving it dangling down the side of the car. I have to kind of balance it on the top of the nozzle but this isn't great either.

There is a hole on the fuel flap that looks like something should poke in, but I have no poker :D

The filter is just a screen (as mentioned) that is fixed and in the tank, when I removed my pump the other week the mesh screen filter did have some particles on it which I cleaned up before refitting. The 996 one is at the very bottom of the tank so I do expect a little bit of crud after 17 years of filling up.

@ GlenB

Couple of images , with the top one showing a small hook on the far right of the image .. if you have this then it should hold the cap but i have a feeling this is USA spec only.

I have to admit though .. this is something ive never taken any notice of :oops:

Reguards the pump .. if you have small bits of black plastic then the pump may well be on its way out .. at least the ones ive seen that have died have all had black plastic in the tank .

Pump failure is pretty rare though .. seen it a hand full of times in all the years ive worked on these (14 ) .

Attachments

• porsche_boxster_fuel_cap_porsche_996_997_57_152.jpg
    porsche_boxster_fuel_cap_porsche_996_997_57_152.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,161
  • fuel_door_hinge_boxster_cayman_carrera_911_turbo_porsche_987_997_197.jpg
    fuel_door_hinge_boxster_cayman_carrera_911_turbo_porsche_987_997_197.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2,161
I am sure there is a book on the inside of the fuel filler flap door, hang by the cord from there

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back