Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dashboard LEDs

nickjonesn4

I got mine from Superbrightled.com.

Per Tore B, the airbag bulb has to remain as an incandescent bulb otherwise you'll trigger an airbag fault warning.

Sutton said:

Per Tore B, the airbag bulb has to remain as an incandescent bulb otherwise you'll trigger an airbag fault warning.

Thx

Are you sure it's not just some of the original bulbs have gone. I've recently replaced all my instrument bulbs with original spec bulbs and they seem more than bright enough.

Attachments

• 20180802_195610_594.jpg
    20180802_195610_594.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,889
mashby said:
Are you sure it's not just some of the original bulbs have gone. I've recently replaced all my instrument bulbs with original spec bulbs and they seem more than bright enough.

Could be I suppose, however I do find them a bit dim

Sutton said:

Do you have a list of the bulbs that are needed ?

Hi Nik

If you're doing just the backlights for the five instruments, then 11 white bulbs will be fine. If you want to do the HVAC panel as well, then you'll need another 2 bulbs.

For the warning lights in the various instruments, you'll need:
4 x amber
4 x green
1 x blue
13 x red

The leds are polarity sensitive, so you may need to take them out and rotate 180 degrees if they don't work first time.

I'm clumsy and broke some so I had bought spares for that eventuality. The friction tabs are deliberately loose to enable fitment to any thickness of circuit board - you need to bend them about 45 degrees to get enough friction to engage the circuit board.

nickjonesn4 said:
mashby said:

Just to check, have you turned up the dial to control dashboard light strength? When set to maximum, I find my incandescent bulbs more than adequate.

ch3tman said:
nickjonesn4 said:
mashby said:

Just to check, have you turned up the dial to control dashboard light strength? When set to maximum, I find my incandescent bulbs more than adequate.

Yep!

Sutton said:
Hi Nik

If you're doing just the backlights for the five instruments, then 11 white bulbs will be fine. If you want to do the HVAC panel as well, then you'll need another 2 bulbs.

For the warning lights in the various instruments, you'll need:
4 x amber
4 x green
1 x blue
13 x red

The leds are polarity sensitive, so you may need to take them out and rotate 180 degrees if they don't work first time.

I'm clumsy and broke some so I had bought spares for that eventuality. The friction tabs are deliberately loose to enable fitment to any thickness of circuit board - you need to bend them about 45 degrees to get enough friction to engage the circuit board.

This is super useful thanks. Do you have a link for one of the relevant bulbs?

Amusingly I used the design911 chat app to ask what bulbs were in the pack and what they were for today... their answer was

"12 led bulbs"

:floor: :floor:

Hello.
I replaced the incandescent lamps in my dials with LEDs.
After much research and buying of different types I ended up with the result below.
The light is slightly whiter than the standard bulbs and the dimmer still works ok.
I also replaced the lamps in the climate control unit (uses the same lamps) and the center console, although this uses different LEDs altogether that have to be soldered in.
To get the right LEDs that fitted properly (type B8.5D) I had to buy a batch of 200. I still have some left if you are interested. They were advertised on this very site many moons ago.
The only problem is; I now live in Greece and won't be back in the UK until just before Christmas. Drop me a PM if you are interested in some.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=86019&highlight=

Citori - I hope you haven't posted a pic of a non-Becker stereo? That's a black-ball offence, you'll get tarred and feathered. I rather enjoyed it ;-)

Tobesetc said:
Citori - I hope you haven't posted a pic of a non-Becker stereo? That's a black-ball offence, you'll get tarred and feathered. I rather enjoyed it ;-)

This is very true.
Should have seen what happened after they found out I put the wiper widget in the wrong place. :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back