Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting new discs and pads, what other parts to change?

Nick-L

Hi,

About to fit new discs and pads all round on my C4S, I've sourced all the parts including damping plates and wear sensors via CarParts4Less with one of their discount codes, all Pagid discs and pads.

The question is should I replace any other bits such as calliper bolts, disc screws, pad securing slider pins etc while I'm in there, or is that overkill?

I've also got some GT3 ducts to fit at the same time as they can't do any harm can they?!

Once that's all done I'll take it to my Indy for some Hel lines and a fluid change and I should have some decent brakes! 8)

Thanks in advance for any advice :thumb:

Not a 996 but I did discs, pads etc. all round on my Boxster recently and I'd be aware of the potential for caliper bolts to be a bit of a pig.
I have read elsewhere that it's quite a common issue with the potential to need drilling and Helicoil-ing, dependant on how they come out.

Also, if you can do discs and pads, you can do the HEL hoses yourself, although I underastand the draw of someone else bleeding the brakes afterwards could be too great!

Did mine a little while ago. The bolts came out very easily, maybe I was lucky... all the fastenings etc were in good nick, no need to change them.

Make sure you have some penetrating oil (not normal WD40, though they do make an excellent dedicated penetrating oil), give the caliper bolts and disc retaining screws a good squirt and leave to soak in.

Take the opportunity to give the big reds a clean and polish too, plus the insides of the wheels! :thumb:

Good shout on the retaining screws; one of mine needed drilling out and only the front discs came with new screws in the box (Brembo).

Good call on the braded brake lines while doing the other bits :thumb: :thumb:

You can get away with caliper bolts if they come out ok , stripped thread and its new bolts plus Time sert .

You can reuse the fixing kit so pin , clip and spring although you will need to sand down the pin .

You can even reuse the wear sensors if you can get them out . and thats not too bad .. just use a small screwdriver , as long as they are not cut through .

Disc screw .. its there to make life easier .. you dont even have to fit it but if it comes out you can reuse .

If any of the caliper bolts are going to be a problem then it will be the rears .. rule of thumb , they should crack off then go loose and be easy to remove .. if its very tight for a turn then you might want to do back up and take to a garage , if not you may well end up having to drill out and time sert .

Basically you can get away with just discs and pads .

Any OPC or indy will replace all of the above though .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back