Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 84
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

RXP.
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: The wing and the forum. Reply with quote

I have often pondered on what makes a great car.

Is it the engineering? The sound it makes? The steering feel? The way it makes you feel hooning around at 5 am on B roads?
I think its all of those things, but what binds all of those together and makes a truly great ownership experience is a good forum with good members.

There are many good members on here its too long of a list to mention them all. However a thank you is in order for DEMORT who came to my moment in need as he has done countless times before for others, offering sound mechanical advice and even even going out of his way to go above and beyond to help me.

What an absolute legend of a guy. A true enthusiast and a man with a genuine passion for Porsche.

Thanks Demort. Really appreciate all of your help.

The wing.

I bought my cheery little C2S from member Jason last year, always with the intention to improve dynamics, and aerokit the car. The remit was simple.

I was less of a fan of the classic 911 shape instead in my mind I thought it kinda looked weird without a wing. A bit to Subtle, a bit too plain jane if you will.

Dynamics improved with Ohlins Coilovers, RSS engine mounts, New arms and bushings all around. Then Phill997 and the... Finn kind of swayed me into gearbox mounts, and the induction mod, then nearly swayed me into an IPD plenum but that's another story (a very dangerous combo those two maketh)

So whilst all this was going on, I managed to slowly gather the parts required for full Aerokit. However in addition to this:
Some very lightweight wheels. A Cup steering wheel and a Notorious CAE shifter.

Work life has been, and is super busy, so its taken a while for me to send everything off for paint, I have been aching to see everything on the car and often find myself trawling the internet for pictures and user experiences.

However Monday this week I dropped everything off to the painters and as I was leaving the house I glanced back and it hit me.

The lines of the rear are just so good, The curves, the details , its... its ... perfect?

perfect........ without a wing.

So now I dont know, do I keep this machine winged or wingless....

What do you guys think? Dont know

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, you are absolutely right about Demort.

His posts are there for everyone to see. But better than that, those posts remain where they are as a future reference to anyone seeking help on issues concerning their Porsche.
In the very great majority of cases one doesn't even need to ask the question as it's invariably been answered, explained and documented on here. The same can be said too for other very knowledgeable forum members when it comes to getting dirty hands. (Alex, Mr Corn, Infrasilver spring immediately to mind but there are others that make excellent technical contributions, GT4's brilliant explanatory posts will always be there to be used as needy reference guides) worship to all that know their stuff and are happy to reward the forum with their knowledge.

As for your second point, well, that's only one that you can decide surely.
My two p's worth? Do it, as you have already gone so far down the road to getting it done and you clearly wanted to do it. If you don't like it you can always revert. Thumb

The return of Marty Wild
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 years of ownership, I can’t say how many times I’ve received help from Demort. Even getting him out of bed at 7am on a Sunday!

Salt of the earth, above and beyond doesn’t cut it when talking about Iain.

Took my car to him for the major, 125 miles away, worth every metre for the level of service I received.

Cayman S 987.1

Porschekit
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demort...... Bow

Wing.......If it ain't broken....don't fix it......

I pride my ownership on having a totally unmolested 997.1 C4S, just as it came from the factory....albeit each to their own with mods....eh Phil? Grin

PGD
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you don't like it, we can do a swap? Laughing

James M-S
Hockenheim

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may affect behaviours at high speeds with only a partial aero kit fitted. I trust Porsche aero engineers. Don’t know if you could buy aero kit withou the rear spoiler.

Having done the CAT training at Milbrook, we demonstrated various effects at speed, compliance steer, engine steer 90+, and aero effects at 120+ They are real and noticeable.

Totally right about DeMort Thumb

Thefinn
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right there RXP as I think that we can all say that Demort has helped us all out at some point and he is a true legend of the forum! Bow

For me i am a no wing guy personally, but i think that might be down to having a Cab which i don't think suit a wing at all, even though Phil nearly talked me into buy the one his mate has for sale! The coupe's do suit them a lot more and if i and a coupe i would probably add one but again as other have said it really is down to personal taste of yes / no and which type you like. But seeing as you already have it and its at the painters you might as well fit it and see what you think, if not just go back as i am sure there will be plenty of members who will take it off your hands especially with new paint.

BTW have you seen this, you never know you might get a bargain! Floor wack

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-996-997-GT3-CUP-911-Carrera-Competition-82mm-Plenum-Upgrade-kit/332835031047?hash=item4d7e838807:g:ppoAAOSwLWBbRTI5:rk:1:pf:0

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread take two

Thefinn
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps. new wheel photos please Useless

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree about Iain(deMort) he has helped many of us in his own time and is a true asset to this forum. as are many guys whose contributions make this forum so active compared to others.
TheFinn I am glad is taking over the role of guy who gets stick for spending everyones money on mods Grin Grin

and whether we like mods or like our cars unmolested they are all beautiful cars and all the different views are what make this forum interesting .

now that Wing , as you know I LIKE a mod or two and encourage people to add a bit of their own personallity to their cars. BUT as much as I like the aero wing I am worried about you doing it without adding the AERO/GT3 front bumper and lip , at minimum you need to think about some form of lower front lip if you want to keep the aerodynamics right,
If your only going to be using the car at legal speed limits and the wing is a more visual enhancement than functional then you may get away with it but it wont be ideal and I really do suggest that you budget to do the front bumper and lip as well in the near future ( yes I realise I may have just talked you into spending more money Floor ) Personally I love the more aggressive look of an aerokitted car but understand others prefer the smoother lines of the car without a kit. the good news is the wing is the more expensive part of the aero kit and you already have that. and its not money thrown away as when you change the car you put it back to stock and sell the aerokit and get most if not all your money back. Thumb Thumb now wheres the pic of your new alloys Grin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-PORSCHE-BUMPER-991-997-GT3-AEROKIT-CUP-BRAND-NEW/263984348520?hash=item3d76b17d68:g:FhIAAOSwYwFblsAk:rk:35:pf:0

this one is a std bumper with a lower lip, it doesnt memtion whos lip but IMO looking at it its a GT3TEK PU lip

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-997-C4s-Front-Bumper/223183833030?hash=item33f6cb07c6:g:cxwAAOSwUVhbvgIM:rk:6:pf:0

heres the GT3TEK web site

http://www.gt3tek.com/PHP/lupa.php?id=997%20%20turbo

Thumb Thumb Thumb

The return of Marty Wild
Suzuka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compliance steer? Engine steer? Go on...

Cayman S 987.1

Thefinn
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The wing and the forum. Reply with quote

RXP. wrote:

So whilst all this was going on, I managed to slowly gather the parts required for full Aerokit. Dont know

Doesn't RXP have the front bumper already sorted Question

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The wing and the forum. Reply with quote

Thefinn wrote:
RXP. wrote:

So whilst all this was going on, I managed to slowly gather the parts required for full Aerokit. Dont know

Doesn't RXP have the front bumper already sorted Question

Dont know Dont know maybe but didnt see any mention of it Question

James M-S
Hockenheim

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The return of Marty Wild wrote:
Compliance steer? Engine steer? Go on...

Not sure if serious, but I’ll elaborate;

It was some of the characteristics of the 911 covered by Colin Hoad on the high speed bowl at Milbrook.

Based on factory spec car:
He described compliance steering as Basically the natural frequencies/harmonics/tolerance stacks in the suspension components causing the car to track a little without any steering inputs. Happens at 90+.

Engine steer was described as the engine moving around on the mounts at 110+, again causing small directional changes.

The learning point was not to try and compensate with steering input, as it will invariably lead to overcompensating, worst case would result in a tank slapper.

Over 120 is when the aero starts to kick in and the car hunkers down (on the Milbrook bowl at least).

My point relevant to the OP is that the air ducts in the front PU are not only designed for brake cooling but also for aero and to work in harmony with the aero at the rear of the car.

If driving in excess of uk road speed limit I would be cautious about using aero kit not as per design intent. If the aerokit was available from the factory without the rear wing, then crack on and choose with or without as you please.

I’m assuming the aero kit actually has some aero effect and is not purely cosmetic.

Dont know James

silvermilnec
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree what a great forum it really adds to the value of ownership as does a good Indy! We should never take for granted the help Demont gives us thumbsup
I’ve never been a fan of big wings omo I think the wing on the turbo is perfect just enough enjoy your car and the forum Thumb some photo would be nice Thumb
2006 997 4S
2009 997 1.5 Turbo basalt black on black

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too love the forum, and the contributions from deMort are especially helpful. I should be asking him why I have front end wobble under braking, but I'd feel a berk until I at least try to sort it myself: I should probably try to remove/reinstall the 12mm spacers to see if that's the issue. This car does seem susceptible to wheel wobble for some reason, despite annual alignments and so on.

As to the wing, I'd only want the full aero for balance in extremis, not just one end or the other. You can run a ducktail (which is of course a spoiler) on a Carrera, but personally I think that the wings truly belong on Turbos and GTs, and that they just don't 'work' on Carreras. But if it makes you happy, then by all means, go ahead, as I've no issue with modifications at all. Grin

PGD
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxA wrote:
I should be asking him why I have front end wobble under braking, but I'd feel a berk until I at least try to sort it myself: I should probably try to remove/reinstall the 12mm spacers to see if that's the issue.

That's usually a warped brake disc

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGD wrote:
MaxA wrote:
I should be asking him why I have front end wobble under braking, but I'd feel a berk until I at least try to sort it myself: I should probably try to remove/reinstall the 12mm spacers to see if that's the issue.

That's usually a warped brake disc

Agreed, that would seem to be the obvious suspect. But the discs and pads are fairly new with little wear, and I haven't driven that hard (it's been pretty wet since the end of the summer). I'm having it checked tomorrow.

Phil 997
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max is the 12mm spacer hubcentric , also what disks did you use the reason I ask is that I was persuaded to use an unknown brand of Disks and when fitted I had terrible wheel wobble so removed them and returned them brought pagid fitted them and job done no wobble Thumb again a symptom of using nasty made in the Far East rubbish , I am realising that the Far east is very good at making things that look right straight rip off replicas, but do no R&D or Quality control just copy but use inferior materials or less precise machining as the focus is purely on cheap build cost and as such they just dont do the job. nooo nooo

MaxA
Barcelona

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
Max is the 12mm spacer hubcentric , also what disks did you use the reason I ask is that I was persuaded to use an unknown brand of Disks and when fitted I had terrible wheel wobble so removed them and returned them brought pagid fitted them and job done no wobble Thumb again a symptom of using nasty made in the Far East rubbish , I am realising that the Far east is very good at making things that look right straight rip off replicas, but do no R&D or Quality control just copy but use inferior materials or less precise machining as the focus is purely on cheap build cost and as such they just dont do the job. nooo nooo

Phil, I have proper TPI 12mm hubcentric magnesium alloy spacers all round, but it's possible that I have dirty hubs or some such, so I'll remove them and try running without to eliminate them as an issue.

I also have Brembo discs: although I might not fit actual Porsche boxed parts, I'll certainly use OEMs like Brembo. The wheel wobble is pretty new, so I'm not sure what's going on. They didn't wobble at the track, and I wasn't being hard on the brakes, as it was pretty wet out there (see above pictures from Alastaro). Maybe there's an issue with the tyre, maybe it's flat spotted, I don't know yet. It's holding pressure. Maybe I've damaged a rim, or put the tracking out (there are plenty of bumps and potholes around here).

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'm at my indy, so we'll pull everything off and have a look around in the light and warmth of a proper garage.

deMort
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MaxA

I have nothing to add that hasnt already beed covered.

Actually i tell a lie.. ill add if a car is parked up with wet discs the pads will corrode onto them .. this can cause a high spot which will give brake judder.

New or old discs .. it can happen.

If you ever get a bang from the brakes when driving off then this has happened .

Its also important to clean the hub well as mentioned as this can cause brake judder .

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: